Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:23 PM   #31

So why are you dissatisfied with it?

It wouldn't have anything to do with other people telling you how great the other flash is....right?

You are trying to handhold a 300mm lens and expect clear photos? Here is a good rule of thumbs for you. Don't try to handhold anything over 200mm and expect perfection. IS is great, but it will only allow you to handheld 2 f stops lower then you could naturally...so it is only an aide..not a solution. Furthermore here is another rule for you. Try to have your shutter speed equal your focal range, to minimize the shakes.

Whatever happen to the days when people did the most with what equipment they had. The fun is in learning your equipment, its various idiosyncrasies, and to get the most out of it, or to use it in fashions that are both creative and ingenuitive.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:18 AM   #32

I am constantly amazed that ALL of you are right - and yet- come from different directions. Don't change, any of you.

Only in America !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:47 AM   #33

Chako wrote:
Quote:
So why are you dissatisfied with it?

It wouldn't have anything to do with other people telling you how great the other flash is....right?
You are correct, I have not had any specific problems with the 420EX Flash. I just wish I had not been so impatient to getthe flashso quickly and did a little more research. I would like to use explore manual controls onthe 550EXand want the external power pack option. However, I have notice quatum now make an external power pack for the 420EX but you have to modify the batter door. I think the 420EX isa greatlight weight starter flash and th 55-200 is the same light weight, fast and takes great pictures. I just want bettertoys now....:-)

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Try to have your shutter speed equal your focal range, to minimize the shakes.
I believe with a 1.6 crop camera you need to multiply that shutter speed by 1.6 as well. So if your lens is at 200mm, you really need the shutter at 1/320 or faster.

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:17 PM   #35

:?Hey does anyone know how much you loose in picture quality on a Canon Digital Rebel by increasing you ISO. On my Sony F707 I alway shot at ISO 100 and flash. That was the only way to get decent pictuures. You could see a noticable difference with noise at higher ISO on CCD based cameras. I still generally try to stay at 100 and only increase to 200+ if I can't get minimal acceptable shutter speed.I primarily print on an Olympus P-440 at 8x10. Am I following best practice or should I start exploring ISO's up to 800?

I also tried the Canon 75-300 and was not at all impressed, the 55-200 defianately perfoms better on the Canon Digital Rebel. My next lens will be the EF 50 1.8 and I will probably stick to primes for a while.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 6:34 PM   #36

Here is a link to some shots I took with the 55-200 with the 420ex flash. I have found you really have to plan your shots when using flash to not get harsh shadows.For the types of shots I take the 55-200 is great. the 75-20 with the 1.6 factor would mean you will need to be even further away from subject. The one thing I can't figure out is how to get a 3 - 2 ratio so that I don't have to crop so much of picture to make it fit 8X10 print.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=417633