Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:02 AM   #41

No need to apologize to me, Norm. I was just shocked by the lashing you handed out for no apparent reason. Enough said.

RE: Canon 70-300 DO http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04...non70300do.asp I don't know if the lens is out yet or not.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:35 AM   #42

I read an interview with one of the creators of the 400 DO when it was introduced. He mentioned doing a macro lens with DO. Never understood that. And like Tomsch, I don't understand this smaller DO lens either. Seems so pointless I don't even know how much it costs 'cause I don't care.

The 400 DO makes sense. They wanted something smaller and lighter, and they got it. Of course, it is optically only as good as the 100-400 @ 400... for 3 times the price(?) But if you want a really light F4 400 it can not be denied. Flight shots with it must be a joy, or long hiking trips with the camera at the ready.

I've heard rumors that the 400DO has been improved optically.... but I haven't really seen any hard testing on it recently.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:31 AM   #43

Eric, the price that I saw listed for this lens was $1299, Like I said previously, they missed the price point. I jusy can't see many ending up in camera bags.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 11:06 AM   #44

For what its worth -

I shoot with the Canon 100/400L IS USM all of the time. Race Cars, Horse & Riders, Soccer games, Road Car Races and so forth. I CARRY it for two/three hours at a time and have NO problems. The "Dust Pump" criticism is a bunch of crap.

I'm 65+ and not a real big person, so I can't understand all the whining and "shortcoming" comments about this lens !!

It takes absolutely tack sharp images.

My DRebel handles it beautifully - The IS works flawlessly !

If you lived close by - I'd be happy to loan it to ya'.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 1:39 AM   #45

Have you considered the 400 5.6 L? It's bargain-priced compared to the other super-tele primes, fairly portable, and sharp. Unfortunately, Photodo didn't test it, but here's a favorable report.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...tten-400.shtml
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 7:52 AM   #46

I have had the Sigma 50-500mm attached to my camera at the store. It was VERY tempting to puchase it, and was actually considering it. Price tag at the store was $1100.oo which I could have purchased online alot cheaper. So I purchased a 2x TC and wasnt too happy with it only because I had to manually focus :/. If I a really good reason to get that lens, I'd get it just to check it out. The lens is really heavy so sticking on a monopod or something would possibly be a big help.

I think, TC should be put into a pile and burned . The Sigma 50-500 would be a go for me for some wildlife shooting. And yea, if I was highly into taking pictures for myself and had the money and was able to sell some of my work, I'd upgrade to some nice big L glass. But I myself would sure check out a reasonable option first.

I hate that push and pull but I noticed that the 50-500 will move when look down or up. Maybe its just me, and it seemed really stiff.... go figure. But even the 35-350mm L IS Push-Pull from Canon with a 1.4x TC would give you 490mm. That might be something to consider if you want the IS like me!...

Best of luck.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 10:33 AM   #47

UniSonBBS
For most lenses, I agree. Anything beyond a 1.4x TC isn't worth it (and often that isn't either.) But if you buy really good glass (prime lenses like the 300mm or up Canon primes) they actually work very well. The problem is that they magnify the flaws in the lens. So you need REALL good glass to limit the flaws that get magnified.

Most/all serious bird photographers use a 500 or 600mm lens. But all of them also use 1.4 & 2x TCs and get great results.

Eric
Old May 20, 2004, 10:58 AM   #48

ohenry -

MY lens is better than anybody's - and I'm NOT gonna tell ya' what it is !!!!

And furthermore my Dad can beat up yer Dad - so there !
Old May 20, 2004, 1:41 PM   #49

Setiprime

Well, my lens is bigger than your lens... oh, maybe I should say that. :-)

But to the topic. The 100-400 is heavy, but not that heavy. How do you carry it? Did you replace the canon strap with something nice& padded? Do you use a flash as well (which adds to the weight)? I now carry my camera on a tripod 90% of the time, but when it was around my neck I certainly could feel it after several hours. Ouch!

The 100-400. if used correctly, can be very sharp. But its a bit soft at 400mm & its easy to take a picture of something thats too far away. I love it, and don't plan to stop using it until I replace it with something much bigger.

Eric
Old May 21, 2004, 8:13 AM   #50

Eric S-

Yes I feel the same way about the 100/400.

On my lens, the "sweet" area seems to be between 325 and 365mm. At 400mm you have to be rock steady and your tripod idea is a good one.

Yes I threw the Canon neck strap away as soon as I opened the box. I have a "Promaster" padded strap that works quite well. Lowepro and others brands have similar quality straps.

I take the tripod ring off of the lens and keep it in my bag. I generally support the lens with my hand as I move about, keeping the load equalized between arm and neck.

My kind of shooting, which is primarily horse shows and car road races, has me moving about quite a bit so I carry all my gear with me in a LowePro backpack.

I try to arrange the shoot so I start either with my 28/135IS or the 100/400 and then only swap lenses once, or twice at most.

If I have a long session with the 100/400, I will use a monopod for support.

I use SanDisk CF cards. 2-512's 2-256's and a 128 (just in case).

I also have a Nikon 5700 back in the car for "after the shoot" or quick candids.