Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:21 AM   #11

I was hoping for more of a 'how it feels' and 'how well it works' reply not regurgitation of sterile specifications. I already had the specs and I'm quite able to look up MTF figures as well.

A little more hands on accounting would have been appreciated. If you read my posts you'll see that I put a lot of stock in ergonomics ahead of the spec sheet.

BTW - I'm glad you have cable internet - I've had broadband access to my home for about six years, starting with ISDN then a few flavours of ADSL. The penetration rate of broadband access is around 30% in Canada, second only to South Korea. For various regulatory reasons (something I've done a lot of work on and can bore anyone at length in an other forum) the US has always lagged in broadband access.

ps - I'd plant peas now (but I prefer tomatoes in the garden) - they'd be fine in these temperatures
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:25 PM   #12

I'm sorry but if you check your post, you only asked two questions as to the size and dit it have a mounting ring.
Had you asked me I could have told you that it is the same size as the 70-200 and after a dozen flowers it feels like a brick. You need a decent ball head to keep it from slipping. It is an f3.5 and is very slow and proned to hunt and will get lost in low light. It does have a range lock out switch on it but I always forget it. I had this lens on today for some spring flowers, after looking at about 50% duds I remember why I try to shoot this on a tripod.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:35 PM   #13

thanks,

your comment 'feels like a brick' is my experience with my ~ pound heavier 70-210. I like the lens but throw away half my shots because of hand shake. I almost always use it on a monopod too.

I think I'll stick to getting a 105mm lens, I don't need magnification past 1:1 so I can live with the reduced working distance at that magnification.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote