Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:04 AM   #21
NHL

I'll make it easy for you: the Canon 1.4x/2x will not fit the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8!

How many correcting elements are in the Tamron or Quantaray? they'll determine the thickness of the inner barrel. You want more lenses here all the while minimizing their size so they will not hit the back of the lens... The more the better (and also the more expensive)

<- the upper black thingy sticking out will hit the back of the lens :idea:

The Sigma will fit the Canon's: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=145097&is=USA
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:42 AM   #22

NHL,

Thanks for the info. However, I do have some questions (please do not take this negatively).:-)

My local camera shop had given me a Canon 1.4x II TC to fit my Sigma 70-200 APO EX lens at the time Ipurchased it from them. The Sigma lens has a well depth of slightly over 7/16" which seemsthat it would accept the Canon 1.4TC. However, I never tried to fit it together with the Sigma lens as the intial sticker price ($400+)was too much to consider at that time.

The Tamron (cheaper versions) have been taunted highly by many others do to its low price however, I'll need to check on the number of elements as there is also a pro version that Tamron offers as well.

The Quantarary has four elements, the Sigma has 5 elements and I believe the Canon has 5 as well. Many people say if you can afford the Canon price, then go for the Canon as the sharpness level is much better than the other?

I guess I'd need to actual try to fit the Canon on my lens at the camera shop before considering it.

Any thoughts or experience withthe other TC's ?:?

Thanks for your help and insite.......

Joe
JLang510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:40 AM   #23
NHL

JLang510 wrote:
Quote:
The Sigma lens has a well depth of slightly over 7/16" which seems that it would accept the Canon 1.4TC. However, I never tried to fit it together with the Sigma lens as the intial sticker price ($400+) was too much to consider at that time...
Joe

The well depht goes-in past the lens mount!
-> You have to measure it from the lens mount forward which is much less, take a look at the mount as you insert it inside the camera (or teleconverter). The Sigma's extension is 1/2 shorter...

Not to say that Canon may have revised this converter since I last tried it
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:46 AM   #24
J_R

JL for me what has made a major difference besides the camera and lens is a mono pod and using the custom white balance feature. Since all the gyms seem to use different lights, using the AWB or the bulb setting really doesn't work for me. And I try only to shoot from the monopod. Most gyms will NOT let you use a tripod, at least that is the case in our area.

Good luck!
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:43 AM   #25

NHL,

Just got back form the local camera shop. When asking if the Canon fits they said "Yes".

However, then I asked to try it and sure enough YOU "NHL" ARE CORRECT. It does not fit the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO HSM lens.

Sorry for any doubts as another sites feedback was buy the canon it works great with your lens. So much for their knowledge.

Thanks again for you help and solidadvise

So now I'm back to trying to select betweena Tamron, Tamron Pro or Sigma 1.4x TC's?

Best Regards,

Joe
JLang510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:30 PM   #26
NHL

JLang510 wrote:
Quote:
So now I'm back to trying to select between a Tamron, Tamron Pro or Sigma 1.4x TC's?
IMO they are probably equal; however the Tamron Pro is white the last time I check... It'll match an 'L' lens better than the black Zen finished Sigma! :G
Old Nov 14, 2004, 6:50 AM   #27

To throw my two cents in....I went for the Canon 70-200 f2.8 USM IS Lens. And so I could afford it, got it from Hong Kong and was lucky not to have to pay any duty. Saved over 400 UK pounds. It's my lens of choice, I carry 5 but mainly use that and a 100-400 IS USM L lens.

I've got examples at http://www.carls-photos.net

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:04 PM   #28
J_R

Here is one with my new 20d and canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM
Attached Images

J_R is offline   Reply With Quote