Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 15, 2004, 1:29 PM   #1

Default decision on 70 to 200 lens

Ive read all the reviews and find my self unable to choose between the canon 70to200 f4/L and the sigma 70to200 f2.8. My local camera store has both of these lenses in stock. The sigma is only 100 bux more and i get the extra f-stop but I keep thinking I should stick with canon because if I have any problems I can send both the body and lens to be calibrated by canon. The canon is also smaller. Im gonna be using the lens for deer and turkeys that live on my property and to also take pics of sprint car racing. What would you choose in my situation? I also plan to use this lens with a 1.4 convertor.

thanks steve
ssmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2004, 2:19 PM   #2

Take YOUR camera to the shop, try both lenses on your camera, take identical pictures with both lenses, take the CF card home, and critically examine the results. Make the decision.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:40 AM   #3

If you plan to use the 1.4x converter, you should consider the Sigma 70-200 F/2.8, you're gonna need that extra 1 stop to compsensate for the stoploss, AF works better with large aperture. The HSM is very much compatible to the Canon USM, plus the Sigma 70-200mm is a great lens, it will give you the same results and sometimes better results than the Canon EF 70-200mm USM F/2.8, it came with a beautiful/solid lens case, hood included. The EX material/finish is outstanding.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:51 AM   #4

Well I tried them both and to be honest I couldnt tell much difference. I admit im a noob. I have read some more reviews and some state that the sigma is no better because when the sigma is wide open at f2.8 its soft but gets razor sharp stopped down. In other words it has the f2.8 but its not that useable. Then again I guess this is all subjective. Thanks for the replies.

steve
ssmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 3:25 PM   #5

First let me say I have never used the Canon lens.

HOWEVER...

The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX is my workhorse... I love this lens... And most of the time i'm shooting indoors where I need the 2.8 (and ISO 1600!!! ) When i'm shooting in the gym my lens is always on 2.8... Here's an example...

1/160 f2.8 using ISO-1600

for me this is a very usuable image...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 3:54 PM   #6

The difference that stop can make is amazing. I have shot birds in flight in predawn conditions that would have rendered an f4 unuseable. If you don't shoot fast action or low light then it won;t make much difference.
I'll have to side with Mr Saginaw, I have a lot of f2.8 images that I consider keepers. When the action starts you can shoot wide open or sit quietly with your camera in ypur lap.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 4:03 PM   #7
NHL

FYI: http://www.pbase.com/nhl/back_focus_tests

and here: http://www.naturephotographers.net/mg0600-1.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 4:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsch
The difference that stop can make is amazing. I have shot birds in flight in predawn conditions that would have rendered an f4 unuseable. If you don't shoot fast action or low light then it won;t make much difference.
I'll have to side with Mr Saginaw, I have a lot of f2.8 images that I consider keepers. When the action starts you can shoot wide open or sit quietly with your camera in ypur lap.
yeah... what he said! LOL!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoore
I have read some more reviews and some state that the sigma is no better because when the sigma is wide open at f2.8 its soft but gets razor sharp stopped down.
steve
Sorry, that's is not the fact, infact it's very misleading. I'm sure several users in here will agree with me on this, the extra stop is very uselful in any case, period.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 6:52 PM   #10

Almost every lens sharpens up when stopped down, the upside on the f2.8 lens is that it's sweet spot will likely be at a faster aperature than a lens with a f4 maximum aperature.

The only downside is size, I've considered getting the Canon 70-200f4 because I find my Tamron 70-210 to be too heavy and a pain to use. It get's left behind unless I know I'm going to want to use it. My 18-55 kit lens gets taken in case I might want to use it.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote