Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:20 PM   #1

Default Sigma 135-400 on Canon EOS 300D

Bought the lens second-hand. Took it home, tried a few test shots just to check it all worked. Then put it away.

Until now - been on holiday, as expected took some time out for some wildlife pix. So when I spotted an osprey on a nest I clamped on the Sigma and... Err99 from the Canon. Whatever I tried, Err-99.

Subsequent fiddling - works sometimes, not others. Havn't had time for intensive testing yet.

But I *do* recall a rumour that some Sigmal EOS lenses don't work on the 300D or require firmware upgrades to work. Anyone got any data on that?

I'm suspicious that the problem is with the iris - pressing DOF_P button doesn't close it. I wonder (and will test) if my earlier quick test shots (which were taken indoors in a hurry) were with the widest ap setting, and only now I've tried to yse the lens in "real" conditions where a narrower setting was required (i.e. the camera actually tried to close the iris down) did I get a problem.

Or could it just be a faulty lens - any idea where to take it for a fix-em?
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:50 PM   #2

coincident with the Elan 7, many Sigma lenses stopped working with the EOS line of cameras. But all of the problems were with autofocus I thought.

Can't say exactly what is going on but I would repost this in the Canon EOS lenses forum, this forum is more geared to point and shoots and their associated filter style lens attachments.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:11 PM   #3

Hi ccomley,
I have had the 135-400 for a few weeks, and it has worked like a champ. not the easiest to shoot hand held. I did get some decent shots at the Fun n Sun flyin last thursday, Havent put any on pbase yet. Never had any err-99 messages. hope you can get it fixed
Greybird
Greybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:04 PM   #4

Ha! I was at Fun and Sun on the Wednesday - but the 35-135 was just fine, got some great pix. The Sigma I was trying to use at Merrit Island the day before...

I'm back in the UK now and trying to get hold of someone at Sigma who can confirm if this problem is the i/f and if Sigma can upgrade the lens to fix it...
Old May 24, 2004, 3:39 AM   #5

Hi,
I have the same problem with my sigma… did anyone find a solution for this problem? Did someone have contact with canon support or sigma about this problem?
I would love to use my 300mm on my brand new eos300D.
That err 99 is really getting on my nerves.

Thx in advance for the help

Ramirez
Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 3:01 PM   #6

I purchased the Canon EOS Elan 7E when it came out about a year ago and then purchased a SIGMA 28-200MM Aspherical IF Lens. When I knew I was purchasing the Canon Digital EOS, I sent the lens to Sigma for a free upgrade. I just received the lens back and they advise that my lens is one of their newest and it does not need the upgraded microchip. If you have a SIGMA lens, send it to them in Ronkonkoma, NY and they will upgrade for free. Should eliminate the ERR99 messages. Call them first to make sure the lens is upgradable.
usmc325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:01 PM   #7

here's what i know...

the problem is that the [canon] camera does not recognize the aperture setting on the non-canon lens if it is mounted at an aperture setting other tha nits largest aperture. by putting the lens on a canon film camera, setting the aperture to its largest opening [eg. f2.8] and then remounting it on the digital, all is well.

re-chipping the lens should solve the problem, but i know from experience not all sigma are chippable [chip supply]
brother mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 5:45 PM   #8

Thanks for the input - I'm not sure I quite understand the procedure you mentio but since I've already shipped the lens to Sigma Imaging UK who are updating the firmware for £35 (inc return carriage) it's academic. I look forward to proper use of the lens! :-)