Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Sigma AF 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX for Sports Shots?

I'm interested in this lens for taking football action shots. Since they'll be H.S. games, they'll mainly be played at night? Any opinions on this?
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:48 PM   #2

At night it will be tough because of the f6.3 aperture.

Do you have a camera now? Do you know someone you could borrow one from? Or next time you go to a game look for someone using one. Ask them what shutter speed they get at what aperture (of course, you risk confusing them... so try to spot someone who seems to know what they are doing.)

It doesn't matter what camera you are using, an f-stop is an f-stop. See if you can get them to set it to f6.3 and see what shutter speed they get. You need something in the range of 1/500 or so (this is just a guess, there are others here who actually take sports photos.)

My guess is that the lens won't be fast enough (low enough f-stop) to get the shutter speeds you need. But I don't know how well lit the fields are they'll be playing at. It's possible it might work, but it might not.

If you do get it, make sure to get a monopod (if not a full fledged tripod... assuming you can use it there.) It is a heavy lens and will wear down your arms in short order.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 2:01 PM   #3

Eric, that's what I'm afraid of. I've got a Canon 70-200 L f/2.8 IS. Also have a couple of TC's for it. I don't think the end result of the Sigma would justify the $1K considering I'm only gaining 100mm. Think I'd be better served getting a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM for indoor sports.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote