Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 3, 2004, 7:18 AM   #1

Does anyone else have this combination? I have a 20-35mm USM as well, and it is way sharper than the 28-200. So much so that it seems there may be something wrong with the 28-200 lens. It actually seems out of focus.

I will post samples later, but I was curious if anyone else had this problem.
Polaris20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2004, 7:55 AM   #2

I've used the 28 - 200 USM lens for about a year and the only out of focus pictures I've gotten were due to hand held shots taken indoors using slow shutter speeds. When I use the flash or shoot with the proper speed for the zoom setting, the pictures are sharp with good color. I have a Sigma 2.8 28 - 70 zoom that does notproduce images as sharp as the Canon 28-200.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 8:00 AM   #3

I've shot with one before this one, and it was great. Here are two shots, one with the 20-35, one with the 28-200.

No sharpening, RAW converted to JPG:

Attached Images

Old May 3, 2004, 8:01 AM   #4

And the 28-200:

I know you can't see the focus point, but in the Canon File Utility, the focus zones were the same.

Keep in mind I've been shooting for 15 years with AF, so I know how the camera works. There's definitely something screwy with my particular 28-200.
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2004, 2:21 PM   #5

None has any ideas?
Old May 3, 2004, 7:08 PM   #6

I noticed the image takenwith the 28-200 mm lensis smaller than one taken withthe 20-35 mm lens. If you are using the same amount of sharpening and exact same method of conversion. I would tend to agree with you that the lens is not quite right. However, there's still the issue of the shutter speed. If you are hand holding thecamera and the you not shotting at amultiple of the focal length, the shot can be blurred. I.E., at 100 mm you should have a shutter speed of at least 1/100 of a sec. I've had shots that looked fine in the view finder show up very soft once I loaded them on my computer. When I checked all the exposure parameters, I found that I was shooting at 1/15 using a focal length of 150, etc. If you have a camera shop near by with a 28 200 lens you could give it a try in the shop. I was hoping some others with more experience would have helped you by now.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 6:55 AM   #7

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
I noticed the image taken with the 28-200 mm lens is smaller than one taken with the 20-35 mm lens. If you are using the same amount of sharpening and exact same method of conversion. I would tend to agree with you that the lens is not quite right. However, there's still the issue of the shutter speed. If you are hand holding the camera and the you not shotting at a multiple of the focal length, the shot can be blurred. I.E., at 100 mm you should have a shutter speed of at least 1/100 of a sec. I've had shots that looked fine in the view finder show up very soft once I loaded them on my computer. When I checked all the exposure parameters, I found that I was shooting at 1/15 using a focal length of 150, etc. If you have a camera shop near by with a 28 200 lens you could give it a try in the shop. I was hoping some others with more experience would have helped you by now.
I appreciate the feedback, but I definitely know that it's not camera shake. Camera shake won't appear at 50mm at 1/125, I didn't have that much coffee!

I took it over to my sister's house, and it's sharp on her 10D. It seems I may have one of the 10D's with a focusing issue.