Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 14, 2004, 11:12 AM   #1

This question started as a response in another post, but I'm listing as a new topic because now I'm curious. I have an aversion to lense changes because of the inconvenience, the expense and hassle of carrying multiple lenses and concern about getting the processor dirty in my Digital Rebel. In the other post, this topic emerged from a long thread about the merits of a multi range lens, such as the Tamron 28-300 that I use.

Here's a a topic I have not see in any post - - Before I got my Digital Rebel, I seriously considered getting 2-3 different Olympus fixed-lens models to meet all my shooting needs. I have C-730, which like all models, has its weaknesses, most of which can be fixed in PSE. About half of my best selling prints were shot with this camera . The models I would choose are; the C-756 for daylight and zoom; C- 8080 for wide angle and large file; C-5050 for low light. Instead of changing lens, I would just reach for the body that would work best under the conditions. The glass in the Olympus cameras is superb and even before they put the new processor in that Steve reports cuts down on purple fringing, I was getting really great photos. This wouldn't be any more work (or expense) than carrying around and changing lenses, especially as small as Olympus is getting their units. I'm not saying I'm going to give up SLR's to do this - but is there really any reason not to if the results are the same? Could this be the next "impossible - digital will never displace film" trend in photography??

:?:
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2004, 1:39 PM   #2

I don't really see any problem with that idea in the field.

You might have trouble managing the pictures because their numbers won't be sequential... so you'll have to spend a bit more time there. And if you use neatimage (or something else that needs to know where the picture came from) you'll have a little bit of a harder time.

But it should work. And being from the same manufacturer will make it easier too... hopefully similar user interfaces and software.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 3:06 PM   #3
NHL

FPorch

Have you thought of the A2? I am... It has more feature than the Digital Rebel can keep up in RAW and also comes with a matched 1.4x extender. BTW it also has IS which everyone in theses forums are clamoring for.

Eric

Mixing pictures is not a problem, each camera will use their own directory on the same shared flash card, and the file names are also different (you can also change the filename to anything you want on the A2)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 7:24 PM   #4

NHL - Steve's review makes the RAW capture on the A2 sound a little slow....I also noted some noise in the day time shots in the sky in the test pic section.....the IS is definitely a good feature, though.
Old May 15, 2004, 8:11 AM   #5
NHL

You think ~3 fps in RAW slow? It's the only camera in the 8Mp bunch to have a RAW buffer. The A2 is actually less noisy than most, but pays for it by not being as sharp in JPEG processing... If you shoot in RAW then all this is moot since this is the only camera which is usable in RAW. All other will be too slow

Beside make sure to look through the EVF before you make your decision on any of them: The A2 has the highest resolution EVF PERIOD! Which lead to the next issue: It's also the only camera that will allow you to manually overide the AF anytime by just turning the manual focusing collar (ie like's Canon USM lens)... Try to manually focus with the other camera's lower resolution EVF or pushbuttons/levers... They don't operate like your Digital Rebel do they? :idea:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...oosing-8.shtml
Old May 15, 2004, 2:05 PM   #6

NHL - Olympus is just more fun than to say Canon - try it! :?

Your advice has always been sound. I'm going to mull over if I want to try additional lenses or get a 8mp fixed lens with my next purchase. I'll check out both the A2 and C-8080 if I go that route. I'll keep you posted.
Best - fporch
Old May 15, 2004, 4:46 PM   #7

NHL,

Ya, but would you really want to have to take the card out and move it to the other one while the moment is disappearing? I'd have a smaller CF card in each camera.

A camera with a good (high resoltion) EVF? What will they think of next? Put in features that we actually want?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 7:18 PM   #8

Gee, myA1 only shoots all types at 3FPS. come to think of it so does my 1Ds. granted the 1Ds does it for 10 whole frames and the A1 for 3 but the A series does better then any one intheir class. the recovery time on the A1 is about 1.5 secs before you can shoot again. still the best for under $4500 for now.

i also have a 5050z w/uw housing it is slower in focus then my A1 in any light period.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 7:45 AM   #9
NHL

FYI (shot @ 1/20s)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8256216

BTW your local Costco carries the A2 for $899...
Old May 17, 2004, 11:48 AM   #10

Is this guy serious ??
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote