Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 27, 2004, 8:37 AM   #1

I have the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Macro Super II and the Canon 28-135 USM IS lens. Can anyone tell me which TC would work with both lenses or would work best with the Sigma lens.

Thanks

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2004, 1:43 PM   #2

Phil, the Canon TC's will not work with either lens (unless you use an extension tube between them)so that leaves you with 3rd party choices. Given that you have a Sigma lens, I would lean toward their TC.

Also, realize that you will lose autofocus capabilities with the DRebel when you exceed f/5.6 (unlessyou fool the electronics with a tape bypass on the pins -- not sure how this is done or how effective it is though).
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 2:00 PM   #3

Thanks

I emailed Sigma and they say the their TC will not work with this Sigma lens. I found a Kenco 2x converter for $60. I think I will give it a try.

Phil
Old May 28, 2004, 8:25 AM   #4

Kenko makes several lines of TCs. I think their best is called "Pro". You might want to consider them. You might find the 2x TCs (any ones) will degrade the quality of the shots too much (of course, this is a personal thing. It might not.) I'm sure that Kenko makes a 1.4x TC, so you might consider that as well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 8:42 AM   #5

Along what Eric says, I have both the 1.4 and 2.0 TC's from Canon and use them with a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L lens and find that I get very good results with the 1.4, but marginal results with the 2.0. With the 2.0, the shots are generally soft, fine for web shots but prints aren't good for much more than family vacation type shots.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 9:45 AM   #6

Gentlemen

Thanks

Phil
Old Jun 13, 2004, 4:01 PM   #7

Hi Phil, did you get a TC yet? I've been putting off buying one for quite awhile now because of the compatibility and/or quality issues. If you did get one, which one and how do you like it? Any samples?
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:49 AM   #8

Yes

I received the kenko 2x and it works but not at the level I wanted. I have to use the manual focus at the longer distances. The two stops loss is the problem. It works ok in the bright sunlight as I have guessed it would need very brihgt lite.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:55 AM   #9

Guerito

I think that I am going to order the Tamron 1.4 AF extender. Research indicates that this works very well with my lenses. The SP model is recommended for lenses with F2.8 or faster. I will buy the older model. I will let you know what happens.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:18 PM   #10

Kenko has a Pro line that is multi-coated (like the Canon/Nikon TCs are.) I'm sure they have a 1.4xTC. So you might want to consider that.

To use the 2x without serious picture quality loss you really need to start with an amazingly good lens. One of the Primes is really what you need (well, this is also a statement of what you consider acceptable. I have very high, expensive, standards.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote