Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 29, 2004, 1:31 PM   #1

what are your most used lens for weddings:?
bobby jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2004, 2:05 PM   #2

16-35mm orany good wide angle prime for church shots. 16-35L 2.8 best for quality and 2.8 constant aperture! Also good for large group shots. 24-70L or 28-135 ISare excellent for candid/reportage. 50mm 1.4 or 100mm f2primesfor portraits/cake cutting etc. or anywhere light is low and flash looks "Tacky". Get a bunch, you don´t want to fall short on the big day!! And don´t buy cheap!
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 2:40 PM   #3

Are you asking because you are going to shoot a wedding? Are you the only one? Just wondering, this is something that I have strong feelings about.

I'd agree with Freefly's choices. I think you might want something longer for candids, though. The 70-200 f2.8L is a good choice (with or without VR.)

Weddings are often shot in dark places (dark to cameras, good light for the human eye) and they happen fast. You need something that focuses quick and works well wide open, and an f2.8 L lens will do that.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:20 AM   #4

eric s

yes im shooting a wedding in july 04. i have a 10d with a film backup camera. I would love to have the 70-200 f/2.8 L glass. Do you feel that the IS is worth the extra money. i have the EF/50mm 1:1.4 a EF/28-105 1:3.5-4.5 and a EF/75-300 1:4-5.6 Now it's time to buy some good glass, L glass that is. Thank's for your reply and help.

ps some churches will not allow flash and some will, so i will need lens that will do both. thanks again.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:03 PM   #5

I'm going to say a few things here to answer your question and then a few more things because I care about weddings and wedding photography. If what I say bothers you, I'm sorry. It makes a few assumptions which might not be correct... if they are not, then just say so.

First off, get the fastest lenses you can get. If you can affordf2.8, get them. You'll need them,I agree that some places don't allow flash photography and this is why you need the fast lenses. You also want them because they allow for faster AF on many cameras. Everything happens very fast in a wedding and you can't tell people to slow down (or stop) so the AF will get it right.

The 70-200 f2.8L IS is a very good lens. The IS is required (in my opinion) because you won't be able to use a tripod all the time (especially in the chapel) and you'll want all the help you can get at getting a sharp shot (since you'll only get one chance at many of those shots.) Yes, you will use the 70-200 in the chapel. For example, to get a tight shot of the flower girl's face whilewalking up the isle.

Another reason to buy L lenses is that they are sharper wide open. You'll need that because those indoor shots will probably all be shot with the largest aperture you can get (to give you a half-way decent shutter speed.)

But on to my other point. Are you the only wedding photographer? If so... I would recommend you don't do it. Wedding photography is very hard. Very. Many say second only to photojournalism/war correspondent. Not only is it a once-in-a-lifetime event, but it's an event where the pictures will be valued 30 years from now. Your college graduation might be a once-in-a-lifetime even, but you don't go back looking at the pictures often... people put wedding shots over their fireplaces.

Here is an example of what is expected of you. Look at this list of shots:

http://my.bridestuff.com/checklist/photo_checklist.asp

Read this wedding photography FAQ:

http://www.koskiphotography.com/amateur.html

This is written by a person who does it for a living and is very good.

Read this thread, where I wrote a lot about wedding photography:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=20164&forum_id=2&highlig ht=wedding

And follow the links to the posts that it links to.

If you have to ask what lenses to use for wedding photography, then I don't believe you are ready to do wedding photography.

Eric
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:22 PM   #6

<< i have the EF/50mm 1:1.4 >>

<< it's time to buy some good glass, L glass that is. >>

No real wedding advice here just regarding lens expectations...

The 50mm f1.4 has all the image quality of an "L" lens. In fact it's better than some "L" lenses. Since you own one you know it has awesome image quality. Don't expect anything better in an "L" lens. What you get with the "L" is that same image quality in a variable zoom.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 2:18 PM   #7

eric s

I just spent an hour reading some of your information, and agree 100% with you regarding the medium format camera's. My instructor at the college use's a mamiya 645 afd film camera, and also has a 22mp digital back for it. Im sure i will never have that kind of money. yes i do have a backup photographer, who is also using a 10D. The reason for my post is to see who use's what. Im going to calumet sometime this week to buy the 70-200L IS, This is not my first wedding to shoot, but it is my first one at being in charge other then shooting members of my family, who was married in the last three years. The information you shared with me will be of great help. thanks again.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:48 PM   #8

Ahhh.. Good, so you've done it before. That changes things completely. You don't want to know how many people look at the price of a wedding photographer (thousands of dollars) and think it's a good way to make money. They have no idea what they are getting into, and I pity the couple who pays them to shoot their wedding.

It sounds like you do have an idea of what to expect. That you have a backup person is statement right there that you are taking it seriously. I like to hear that.

mrc01 is right that the 50mm f1.4 is a very good lens (so is its much cheaper brother the 50mm f1.8 ) If you can get close enough to use it, its low light ability is just amazing (f1.4 after all) so you'll get shots with it that you won't get any where else. I'm not sure how fast its AF is, though, so that might hamper things.

In one of my previous posts (found through that link I gave you) I referenced a wedding only forum on another site. Here is one, but I've seen others as well (which I think I included... I don't recall):

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/48

You might want to read there about what people use.

Eric
Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:08 PM   #9

eric s

I just called calumet. the EF24-70mm f/2.8L sells for $1299 and the EF70-200 f.2.8Lis sells for $1749. with my student discount would be a little less. with these two and my 50mm should be plenty. I have checked out fredmiranda's wedding forums many times. Im also a member of the digital wedding forum dwf, which i joined two weeks ago. it cost $60.00 per year and now has gone to $70.00 per year. you have been great with all your help. even though this is not my first wedding, i still need help with a few question's. I just wan.t to make these two people happy, and im sure i will. thanks again.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:38 PM   #10

You might need to consider the 17-40 F4, as you might not have something wide enough to get the group shots. That 1.6x crop factor can be a pain some times. I have that lens and like it a lot. The downside for you is the f4... but if you use it in the right situations (outdoor group shots? Very well lit not in the chapel shots?) it would do the job. It's also reasonably priced at around $600 USD I believe.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at that price for the 70-200 IS F2.8. Its an expensive lens... but a good one. The only thing I've heard against it is that in some situations it can have some CA issues. But I know others who say "what issues?" so I assume it happens in situations that not everyone hits.

Eric