Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 30, 2004, 9:12 PM   #1

Just bought a 10D with 70-200F4L and 50F1.8 and figure I need a wide angle zoom to round out my starting collection of lenses. After following this forum and others, have concluded that 'L' is the way to go. Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated. I am somewhat of a novice although I learn fast.
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 7:09 AM   #2

I like the 17-40mm Canon. I find that I use it frequently for interior work and portraits especially groups. It is not the fastest wide angle zoomat f4.0 but I don't find this too restrictive because I am not working in low light conditons normally. It has become one of my favorites.

twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 11:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion TW. I have been thinking about this lens as the way to go, however I was not sure it would be wide enough given the 10D cropping factor. I am taking a trip to Alaska in July and want to be sure that I have a lens that can give me a view greater than my 50F1.8
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:20 PM   #4

Look into stitching together panoramas from several photos taken from the same location. I have done this using a tripod to get aexcellent panoramas. Your camera probably came with Canon's Photostitch software. This will give you another method of getting extreme wide angle scenic photos. I made a 360 degree panoramawith lens set at 17mmfrom the roof of my house and it came out excellent. It is best if you carefully level the camera so that when you rotate the camera the image is on a level plane. Also overlapshots about 20% and with the first shot get an exposure setting go to manual and keep it there for each shot of the panorama.This will make overlapping frames match better in exposure and color. Try it out before you leave on your trip.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:45 PM   #5

Thanks again for your help TW. My camera did come with PhotoStitch but I have been so overwhelmed with learning all this stuff, especially the camera, that I have not checked out the software. Except of course that needed to download the pictures. I will definately try your suggestion before my trip. I will have to make it work sans tripod as I will be limited in what I can carry.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:24 PM   #6

TW I just tried Photostitch as you suggested and WOW! I took two pictures of the mountains from my house and stitched them together and now have one. The software did all the work of figureing out where they connect. Great stuff! All I did when I snapped the pictures was try to keep the camera in the same horizontal plane. I will take advantage of this on my trip. Thanks so much for this info.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:27 AM   #7

Two that I highly recommend are Canon 17-40L and Sigma 15-30. I actually owned these two at the same time and was very impressed with both. I wound up keeping the 17-40 because it's a little smaller and lighter and has the extra 10mm in range. But you can pick up the 15-30 for about 100bux less. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these lenses.
jag147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 6:45 PM   #8

I read some good things about the new Sigma 12-24. It was used on a Digital Rebel, but I'm assuming it should be similar.

Currently it's on my 'might buy' list.

Anyone else hav any thoughts on the 12-24?
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:29 PM   #9

Thanks guys for your advice. I just ordered the Canon 17-40L from B & H and should have it Wed the 9th. Cannot wait to try it. There is so much to learn I am overwhelmed. I suddenly have an appreciation for photography as an art form.

I am in the process of disconnecting from the computer business that has consumed all my time for years. I am jumping back into photography but have much to learn. I cannot believe how useful these forums are.