Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:14 PM   #1

Does anyone know if I can use the near infrared illumination toan object and use the digital camera (like Canon's) to capture the image? Basically, I mean that I want to capture the object (like a face) with near IR lighting).

Any recommendation for the near infrared illuminator?

Thanks a lot.

Guodong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:39 PM   #2

I have no idea how it is done, but I've seen someone produce an IR picture using a 10D. The shot was outdoors of a seascape (obviously with the sun illuminating.)

So it can be done, but I don't know how. It might be as easy as a special filter, but maybe not.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:52 AM   #3
NHL

Although it could be done, the 10D is not as sensitive to IR than others (or Nikon's)::

http://www.usefilm.com/image/185258.html

You'll need a Hoya R72 filter (or aB+W 092 filter):

http://www.2filter.com/hoya/hoyaenhancers10.html

Quote:
Any recommendation for the near infrared illuminator?
How about those IR projector lamp use for bathroom? :idea:

Also FYI: http://www.irdigital.net/

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 9:42 AM   #4

Many thanks to Eric and NHL for the useful responses. Suppose I use the Canon EOS 300D (or Kiss digital or digital rebel) tocapture NIR(near infrared) images, is this camera good enough for my purpose?Is there any difference between CMOS (used by Canon 300D) and CCD cameras for NIR image capture?

Further,can I usea computer to control the Canon 300D for image capturing instead of clicking the button by hand or using the remote control?

I am very grateful for any response or suggestions!

Thanks

Old Jun 2, 2004, 10:39 AM   #5

The lens you use will make a significant difference in how "successful" your near IR photo's are. The 50mm 1.8 does a much better job the the kit lens.

Also you can use your computer to actuate the camera. The provided software allows you to control the camera via the USB cable.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:06 AM   #6
NHL

FYI:

1. IR focal point is slighly different on the lens barrel (for remote control)

2. After the R72 filter factor most subject need to be pretty stationary because of the longer exposure time...
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:24 AM   #7

Thanks again for your kind responses. Now, I have the Canon EOS Rebel Camera, and will try to capture NIR (near infrared) images. As NHL suggested, I may think to buy Hoyo Infrared filter. In my understanding, maybe RM90 is better than R72?

The EOS Rebel Camera has the CMOS sensor instead of CCD. Does this make any difference for my image capturing purpose?

Best to All

Guodong

Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:00 PM   #8
NHL

It depends on the effect you would want to achieve: the RM90 cut-off is higher than the R72 which includes some visible light... The 10D/Rebel is already not that much sensitive to IR would just increase your exposure time even longer with the RM90 (albeit with a more dramatic effect if it works at all). :idea:

http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/infr...er/filter.html
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:18 PM   #9

Hi, NHL,

Do you know if the CMOS sensor of Canon digital Rebel has any blocking filter for infrared? Because I want to use the Reble for capturing NIR images. If the infrared is blocked by the sensor, I can not use any IR filter like R72 for my purpose?

Thanks a lot.

Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:48 PM   #10

The Digital Rebel has an integrated IR cut off filter and Anti Alias filter placed directly above the CCD.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote