Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:47 AM   #1

I can't attach the Canon 1.4x to the Sigma 50-500. What other attachment do I need, a tube of some sort or what? Any help here would be appreciated.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:30 AM   #2
NHL

FYI a Sigma 1.4x (or 2x) TC will work on both Sigma and Canon, but not the other way around... The Canon's is slighly longer protruding inside the rear of most lenses including some Canon's not designed for it (the Sigma is not an all purpose TC and it also interferes but is shorter).

An extension tube (short) will work but some of the lens parameters will change, focusing distance for one, and vignetting is another possibility... also be careful some tube migh not have the EF electrical connection.
http://www.moose395.net/f5/exttube.html

BTW the Sigma 1.4x is better matched to their lenses (also inexpensive as compared to a Canon extension tube) if you worry about image quality (you'll also have to worry about the shallower DOF with the above distance changes with tube)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:10 AM   #3

Norm, FYI...even the The Sigma Extender will not go on the 50-500 untill it is zoomed out to 100 and locked. This lock out position protects you from bottoming out enternal parts and doing damage.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:50 AM   #4

Are you trying to use a Canon 1.4x Standard converter or an L Series? Im pretty sure you will need an L series with that EX lens. Isnt the 50-500 an EX model? It has the same type of L series end to it which requires and L series converter or EX converter. I could be wrong which happens alot... But I just wanted to make sure you was aware that there is different types of converters for different (levels) of lenses.

:?
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:20 PM   #5
NHL

UniSonBBS

There's no such thing as a Canon 1.4x "Standard" converter (or 2x). All Canon's are Extender EF 1.4x and 2x II (and older series I), ie white, both will only fit certain L long zooms... They will not fit a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX for example, but a Sigma TC will fit both Canon and Sigma!
http://www.sigma-photo.com/html/page...ComptChart.htm

What you're referring to are generic 3rd party teleconverters which are usually thinner in design and is not matched to any lens range. Theses TC usually comes for a price of lower sharpness due to their general purpose in nature and fit.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:38 PM   #6

ack your right, I should just keep my mouth shut... lol

I don't know why I was thinking they had two different types. And I can see why I was thinking L though... lol

Ill be quiet now... lol

UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote