Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:21 AM   #1

As you may have read in the Canon SLR forum, I was at two parties in two days for friends on the weekend. Both times I took a lot of fun shots, of the party etc. Both used the 28-135 exclusively, with the 550EX flash (used sparingly for the second event as it was a BBQ in the middle of a very sunny day).

Anyway, I now completely understand the need for the 70-200mm, and why so many folks swear by that focal length in a zoom. Things I found:

1) I used the 28-70 focal lengths much much less than I thought I would. In fact, most were around 70mm, which was around the point where what I saw in the viewfinder looked exactly like what I saw away from the camera (what I might call the 100% magnification point). The only time 28-70mm was used really was when I took a shot of the entire party.

2) Candids are a lot easier at longer focal lengths! People instantly become "stiff and unnatural" when they spot you and your camera. The best shots I got were of folks when I took them at the highest focal length and they were unaware of the camera. 200mm would give you that extra length where this would become that much easier!

3) Even with the big 550EX flash, f2.8 would be useful at the long end. I have a bunch of shots at around 100-135mm where I used the flash, but the reach was JUST a little too long. If I could increase the aperture from the 5.6 max of the 28-135IS, this may be been less of a problem.

4) If the length is too short, at those types of events you will miss shots! Sure with static things like buildings or monuments and such, you can just move yourself if the focal length is too short. But at events with people, if you can't zoom in, you'll miss a shot and you might not get another one!

Anyway, with all this in mind I took a look at the Sigma 70-200EX HSM at the store. Surprisingly, with that on the Rebel/BG-E1 combo, the balance was not bad at all! I thought it would feel a lot heavier and burdensome...but that was not the case. It focussed very fast too, and was just as quiet as the USM on the Canons.

So, I'm really really tempted by the Sigma now! I also saw the 70-200L IS...that was a completely different story in terms of size and weight.

Any thoughts on the Sigma 70-200EX? Yes...I'm aware this means the 28-135IS may be relegated to sit in my bag full time.

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:54 AM   #2

If you like the long zoom lenses, the Sigma 70-200mm EX F/2.8 is an outstanding lens, HSM on this lens is very much comparable to the Canon USM, very fast AF, great handling andvery good optics, fit s perfect on the 10D, 1Ds and Mark II. If you bugdet is tight, this lens is a perfect candidate.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:01 PM   #3
NHL

FYI

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelef

... There's also an excellent Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX (HSM)! :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:09 PM   #4

Have this posted in another area but wanted to comment on the Sigma 120-300. Only had it for a short time, but it seems like it'll be a great lens. Haven't tried anything with a 1.4 or 2.0x TC yet, but I've heard the results are very good. Here are just a couple of photos from last week.

aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:15 PM   #5
NHL

What a Bokeh!!!

... I want one :-)
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:04 PM   #6

NHL, you're the one who gave me some good info on this lens, so thanks. Having no SLR/DSLR experience previously, it was impossible to really gauge what I needed. I'm still not positive, but I'm closer. In addition to the 120-300, I reacquired a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. The only question I've got is will those 2 be enough for indoor sports. Not sure if an 85mm Canon prime (non-L) would be worth looking in to for $300 or so. Cash flow is definitely an issue at this point...
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 4:45 PM   #7

So, what about all those folks on "the other forum" that claim the Sigma 70-200 EX is unusable at f2.8, and only becomes decent at f4.0, meaning that the 70-200 F4L would be the way to go. Is that just some good Sigma bashing going on, as the numbers from Photodo don't show any sort of major "gap" between the Canon or the Sigma 2.8's.

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 5:05 PM   #8
NHL

Quote:
So, what about all those folks on "the other forum" that claim the Sigma 70-200 EX is unusable at f2.8, and only becomes decent at f4.0, meaning that the 70-200 F4L would be the way to go. Is that just some good Sigma bashing going on, as the numbers from Photodo don't show any sort of major "gap" between the Canon or the Sigma 2.8's.
May be thoses folks haven't own a Sigma before
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...122907#p122907

aaltenburger wrote:
Quote:
... Not sure if an 85mm Canon prime (non-L) would be worth looking in to for $300 or so...
I have the 85mm f/1.2, but mostly for portrait or available light. It could be used for indoor sport (not my cup of tea) but I imagine it would be lacking in DOF to be useful... Once you have to stop the lens down and use it with a flash then all its benefit is negated. :sad: