Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:25 AM   #1

Just purchased the above lense today, all the budget I could afford. However, I'm very pleased with the results so far.

Canon EOS 300D, Sigma 70-300mm @ 119mm, 1/80 F5.0 Hand Held 100% Crop Straight RAW Conversion no additional processing.

Cost me £180.89 including SKY Light Filter and 2 Years Extra Warranty.

What you think folks.?

Cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:44 AM   #2

Just done some more tests with this lense and it seems like this lense really likes 7 point autofocus. Most pics I've taken using Av Mode and 7 Point Focus have come out really sharp and bright. Some still suffered a bit but for the money it seems to be pretty good.

Cheers

Mart.

Old Jun 10, 2004, 6:24 PM   #3

Hello, i just got mine for 170 dollars yesterday, and i am satisfied with the image quality, altough i haven't taken that many pictures yet.

Just wanted to ask you guys one thing, i am new using sigma lenses and the zoom knob seems to be normal from 70 to 135mm and from 135 to 300 is a little bit hard to rotate and moving like in steps. (I am comparing it to my Canon 18-55 which rotates smoothly).

Did you have the same problem or is it my lens only, other than that, the autofocus is working and it works perfectly with my 300D.

Thanks guys for your reply.
jltrevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 2:23 AM   #4

Hi Jl

Mine does the same but I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't said.

If it's really stiff I would get it changed, mine is very slight and doesn't cause me any problems.

Cheers

Mart.

PS. The lense alone was £149.90 so what that equates to in Dollars I don't know but I bet it's more than $170.00.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 3:49 PM   #5

I only have one Sigma lens (50-500), but I've heard that they tend to be a bit stiff when new and will loosen up later. This was confirmed by a Sigma rep. at a camera show I was at.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 2:07 PM   #6

Decided to take the Sigma back and get the Tamron 28-300mm XR Ultra Zoom, although the zoom range is greater than the Sigma the images so far are better. The focusing however is slower and doesn't lock on has quick. But the image quality IMHO is better and the greater zoom range means I don't have to keep changing lenses every 5 minutes.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"cheers

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Mart.