Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:08 PM   #11

How many auto focus points do you have in play? I only use the center point, turning the others off. On some occassions I may use one of the other points, but I always limit it to just ONE point.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:48 PM   #12

I always use the center point. If I decide I want to focus onto a subject and compose it elsewhere in the photograph, I just focus onto the subject then pan a little. But yeah, I always use center AF as well. Also do you think for some reason a UV Filter would cause any issues? Sun hitting it? I have no clue, I guess I gotta experiment more... :?
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:12 PM   #13

ok, that rules out the camera picking its own focus point ... hmmmm ... more pictures, russ...take more pictures! (What was the camera shutter speed on that pic?)
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:13 PM   #14

No a UV filter shouldn't cause that (well, a good one won't.)

The File Viewer Utility that comes with the 10D will show you which AF point was the one in focus. You might look at your picture using that and see what it thinks was in focus.

I assume when you recompose you either have set a AF lock button or are keeping the shutter half-pressed.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:28 PM   #15

-eric

Yeah when I recompose I keep shutter half pressed.
No I havent used the utility to check out the picture, Ill have to go do that.

-ohenry

The shutter had to either of been 1/350th or 1/500th atleast with either 4.5 or 5.6 on the 70-200 L 4.0 lens. About 75% are like this (on nature, outside things) and seems to be mostly on sunny days.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:51 PM   #16

Here is a picture from file viewer. It clearly shows "Its focused" but its clearly not. Maybe you can see a setting I have wrong...The other photograph was done in AI-Servo. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:43 AM   #17

Sorry to say, but it's looking more and more like Canon Repair Center time.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:19 AM   #18

Does to me too. That sucks.

Eric
Old Jun 15, 2004, 7:40 AM   #19

Hey Guys,

Yeah its pretty frustrating at times. Like I said, maybe like 50% of the time I get similar results (Maybe not so servere as this one) but its enough to make it not look good, and seems to be mostly when its sunny outside. I had this problem with a Sigma EX 70-200 2.8 and though it was the lens. So I had sold the lens and the 28-135 IS and 75-300 IS seemed to work fairly well. But it was mostly the last few days I have been really having some issues with it.

I guess its "BestBuy here I come" and lets see if they do what they say they would do. They said "Any problems with the camera, we don't bother to try to fix it. We just give you a new one." The also said that the other day when we bought the extended warrenty on the DR that I got my fiancee. They said even down to the battery. They said if it seems not to be holding the charge as much over time. We will give you a new one.

Ill do some more shots today just to see what I get. I cleaned the lens and filter as well as I could even though it surely looked like it didnt need it. Just odd that when I take the picture it looks sooo perfect and then I look at the picture and its out of focus like that. Ill keep you guys informed on what happens.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:48 PM   #20

Another thing to consider, since it works well some times and not others, is to make sure the lens is properly seated in the lens mount.

I've had some really weird issues with my 100-400 where it will start to focus and then just stop. Completely. Doesn't claim its in focus, it just stops trying. On good bright days on bad days. Doesn't seem to matter. It often stops doing that when I remove the lens and put it back on again.

Another thing that someone told me and was very right. Check the dial on the diopter adjustment. On the 10D its on the top left side of the rubber protector around the eye piece. It is used to correct for bad eyesight (so you don't have to wear glasses when shooting.) I was having serious trouble manual focusing with the 10D until someon suggested that I check that... and it was WAY off. As far as you can go one way. I realize that you problem isn't manual focus, but you say it looks good through the view finder but bad through in the picture. It should look bad both places... and this could cause that.

Eric