Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:30 PM   #1

Finally got to use it quite a bit today to give it good run. Took 70-100 shots today, and photographs seem to be sharp. Any photographs that had problems where user inflicted. I mostly shot in f5.6. I miss the IS but like the L... For all that question the lens on making the purchase, as many say (You get what you pay for) unless your not a photograph detail picky person then maybe you could save a few bucks. I myself am pleased with my purchase so far.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:28 PM   #2

Need some help. My fiancee and I where taking pictures today and shooting mostly around 1/500th at 4.5 or 5.6. My fiancee was using 75-300mm IS and I was using 70-200mm L. Both ended up with same results. The only thing that I could think of is it was high sun and neither was using a sunshade near water (water shots). Seems pictures where a "Dreamy Effect". No area in the picture(s) where defenitly in focus, but wasnt a typical blur. Ill have to post some examples. Just wondering if Im missing a common phanomom.If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please let me know.

Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:09 PM   #3

Full midday sun can create some hazy effects when shooting distant landscapes. Not sure what you mean by "dreamy" effect, but with both of you having out of focus shots, that's just "wierd"!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:19 PM   #4

Maybe its just me. But sometimes when I snap a photograph it seems that no area in the photograph was actually focused? You can still make out the object but is obviously out of focus. These always seems to be an issue with outside shots. Ill have to do some testing with both cameras and lenses again and try to figure out what is going on... :P
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:25 PM   #5

Is this with all of your lenses?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:26 AM   #6

please post some examples....i probably won't be able to figure it out...lol...but i'd like to see the problem! sounds like it is really annoying!

this isn't ALL your shots right? or all your lenses (like henry asked)?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:24 PM   #7

It seems to be on very sunny days. Inside shots and overcast days produce better shots. Not sure why. But seems to be doing it with both the 10D and the DR with different lenses. Just seems like nothing in the photograph is in focus. Ill post some pictures when I get home from work. Seems to be a large portion of the photographs. Upclose (within 10-15 feet away) seem to be fine. Long telephoto and wideangle seem to be blurry. Some inclose shots as well become unfocus or blurry. I had this problem a while back with my Sigma 70-200 EX 2.8 at the ocean. Just wondering if there was a phanomemon or some crap or something Im missing.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:42 PM   #8

Depth of field?? If your're at f/2.8 you'll have a pretty shallow DOF..? Only thing that comes to mind here... I guess just verify taht you are at 5.6 in the exif data ... or that your iris isnt getting stuck.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:46 PM   #9

sounds like it might be just haziness from evaporating water, or something like that...maybe glare too...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:56 PM   #10

Here is a picture that I must have taken 25 pictures of (Similar bird houses). It looks like its focusing on the grass behind it by atleast 5 feet or so? Obviously Im trying to take a picture of the bird on the little house. This was around 100 feet away from where I was. I dont intend to get razor sharp from that distance, but I figured it would atleast be clear. This seems to happen worse at objects farther away and during sunny situations. Just odd now that both my fiancee and I have similar camera and different lenses with similar results. Sorry if you have to scroll really far up and down the picture, but I wanted you to see what full size looked like and where my focus (said it was focused) on and see how much off it really was.

Attached Images