Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Eric, I'm positively in awe....ordering a 600! You ARE da man!
No, Artie is da man! Wow, is he just amazing. For those that don't know, check out:

http://www.birdsasart.com

If you want to see some of the best amazing bird photography any where.

Unfortunately that lens is going to be a special order, so I won't get it this week. Pitty, as I'm going to spend some time with a real Pro (unlike me who fakes it) in a large bird blind at a wildlife sanctuary. Ikinda hoped I'd get the lens by then.

The G1325 is a very good tripod. I got the 1348 because I wanted the7" ofhight. Carbon Fiber tripods are lovely for their weight and better vibration dampening (only wood is better, I believe.) Saves my back and shoulders every weekend.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:24 PM   #12

Second the recommendation on Birds as Art. Sign up for his newsletter and be in awe. I ordered one of his books and it's excellent!

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:16 PM   #13

I did too, I've got The Art of Bird Photography. Not only are the pictures AMAZING, but the chapter on exposure is really great. It talks about exposure modes on the camera and how they are effected by the subject/composition. You might be able to figure this out yourself, but it would not be easy. So not only does he say "you have to lighten when you take a picture of a snowy egret because it will darken it thinking its 18% grey" but he'll also talk about how the different metering modes are effected by large white subjects.

Really great. And the pictures are amazing....

Eric
Old Jun 15, 2004, 5:27 PM   #14

Ya...well...when are you guys gonna pick up one of these:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/images/images17.php

:-)

Anyway, I followed the same route this past week as well, although on a much much (much) lower scale. Last Wednesday, zero L glass. Today? 70-200 F4L and 17-40 F4L....

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 5:37 PM   #15

You'll enjoy those two!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 6:02 PM   #16

I know someone who has one of those, but I certainly don't. It's for business, but they also use it for themselves (nature videos.) Amazing things.

The 17-40 f4 is a nice lens. I've got it and don't use it nearly enough. The only thing I dislike is the location of the zoom ring. Its up to close to the camera body.

Eric
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:34 PM   #17

ohenry

Do us a favour, when you get your new 400mm Lense please post some pics. Preferably untouched straight from the camera.

I would like to see what it can do without any post processing.

Cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:55 PM   #18

Nice lense choice:-) with the 1.6x of the camera and 2x of your TC that should work out to about a 1280mm-f11 35mm equivelent. . Lot of reach in good light.

:lol:Me, I would not turn down someone offering to let me test the Canon 1200mm-f5.6 for a few weeks.:lol:Now if someone would only offer it. :lol:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote