Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:13 PM   #1

Bit the bullet the other day....Canon 400 f/5.6 L is on order

Tired of marginally acceptable shots using the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS lens with the 2X TC ... For info, I get great shots with the 1.4 TC and this lens...not so with the 2X.

Will be interesting to see what sort of images I can get with the TC's and the 400 prime (even though it will be manual focus...man, it's been a LONG time since I had manual focus lenses! LOL )
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:57 PM   #2

OK, Im jealous... Happy now??

LOL
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:01 PM   #3

oooooohhhh aaahhhhhhh

:-D

i have a question though....wouldn't the "old" one be better because it's"IS and it's faster? or is the 200mm more worth it? just wondering....i've learned on a G2....so no lens change, or experience with wat lenses are better...

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:31 PM   #4

No, the 400 f/5.6 is a prime lens and is incredibly sharp. The 70-200 is also an excellent and sharp lens, but when you add an extender to reach out to 400 mm you lose too much sharpness for my tastes. IS is a wonderful feature, but a 400mm IS lens will set me back 4 times what I paid for this lens. Since most of my shots are done with a tripod, I think I'll be just fine.

I want to be able to take closer pictures of such things as birds. Even with the 400 mm, my ability to capture birds will be marginal. If only the 600mm didn't cost so darn much. I have heard good things about using the 400 f/5.6 with the 1.4x TC. Since I grew up taking pictures without autofocus, having to manually focus will not be a major issue. Having to take pictures limited to f/8 or greater will be a challenge.

Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:35 PM   #5

ohh ok....thanks for the explanation..

i would think manual focus would be better in the long run anyway.....one less electrical/mechanical thing you'd have to fix, and you'll be able to get really fast at focusing manualling....:-D
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:30 AM   #6

'grats! With the 200 2.8 and 2x, you already have experience with what 400 5.6 would look like roughly through the viewfinder. The challenge with manual focusing with the 1.4x TC, will be darkness. The good part, of course, is that you get some more depth of field -- perhaps enough thatfocus will beacceptable evenif you and the sensor can't judge it exactly. The following online calculator can give you a sense of how much depth of field you have.

http://dfleming.ameranet.com/dofjs.html

And as you probably know, DSLR's and noise reduction software such as Neat Image can get much better low light / high ISO performance than would have been previously possible. (The Nikon D70 doesn't even bother to support ISO lower than 200.) Of course this won't do anything for the focusing or view through the viewfinder, but it might let you still some of those birds a bit more, and deal with the shutter speed loss with higher apertures.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:53 AM   #7

Carl, I'm excited for you! I hope it is all you expect and I look foreward to the results.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:11 AM   #8

Thanks Tom. I would really like the 600, but so far you keep refusing to contribute to my addiction financially. LOL. Seriously, I think a 500 mm with an f/stop around 4 is in the cards at some point. Who am I kidding? Is there ever an endsight in our quest to reach outwards with our camera?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:25 AM   #9

Don't remind me... I'll be wanting those contributions as well. I just started the ordering process for the 600mm. Ouch, that is going to be scarry when I see that bill.

The 400 f5.6 should be sharper than the 200 with the 2x. I bet you'll love it.

The IS does make a difference even on a tripod, but if you're good at long lens technique, you should be good. People took good pictures on tripods for years without IS. They just got good at it. IS is a crutch. I know, I lean on it all the time. But a very handy crutch (it does allow for some shots that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise, but most of the time its just a crutch.)

I'm looking forward to what you think of it. Weight, size, usability. All that stuff. How does it work for you, not just optically.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:01 AM   #10

Eric, I'm positively in awe....ordering a 600! You ARE da man!

I pondered the 400 f/5.6 for some time before finally committing to it. I hear you about the IS. I have it on my 70-200 and it's a great tool, both on and off a tripod. (BTW, Eric...I did buy a Gitzo 1325 recently!) I thought the lighter weight would also be a plus. You're right about shooting on a tripod. I did it for years without the benefits of IS and it worked just fine! I'll keep you informed, but I'm drooling over your order! Can't wait to see some bird shots with that baby! I've seen plenty from Artie Morris using a 600 plus 2X and all I can say is WOW!