Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:41 AM   #11
NHL

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
... It was easy for me once I did a column one and column two thing. Column two, with the Mark II, had this:

- 8 frame one second burst mode at 8 megapixels
- firewire upload
- ISO that gives me probably 3 stops over the Rebel
- a very well built body
You missed one: better AF sensors -> maybe all your focusing issue (front/back) may go on the wayside with your existing lenses as well!

But then you left out another critical consideration as well: the Mark II has a 1.3x crop factor! So it fact you were shooting with a "~1.4x TC" (1.6x for the 10D/DRebel) permanently mount to your lenses which is no more on the Mark II... May be you'll have to add that 600mm that Eric is talking about to your arsenal or forget about removing the 1.4x TC from the EF 70-200 IS USM just to get a similar FOV:

10D/DR: 500 x 1.6 = 800
Mark II: 500 x 1.3 = 650

10D/DR: 200 x 1.6 = 320
Mark II: 200 x 1.3 = 260 -> (plus a 1.4x TC ~ 364)

You may be better off with a D2h or an E1 which has a 2x cropping factor!
Not so easy anymore is it... cropping the 8Mpixels next ?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:35 AM   #12

NHL, I took that into consideration. Since I no longer have the 70-200 it won't be a problem. That was one of the items I returned to fund this camera purchase in the first place. My long lens will primarily be the 50-500 with 1.4 and 2x teleconverters (which I will use only if absolutey necessary). In any event, I'll still have the Rebel if I really need those extra mm's. Otherwise, I'll just paint myself green and brown and get closer.

Come to think about it, because of the 1.3 factor my 100mm F2 will become a real nice portrait lens. 100mm's was slightly too far away.

And thanks for your input. It was your comments that inspired me to look in this direction rather than purchasing the 500 F4.5, which I do believe isn't much more progress from the 50-500.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 4:39 PM   #13

Norm,

You're a better man than me. Waiting a couple of months?? I don't see the MarkII in my future, at least for the next couple of years. However, I'm very content with the upgrade from the DReb-> 10D. The AI Servo and 9 shot burst were enough to make that decision. Over the 4th I'll be shooting a baseball tournament in Columbus, OH. I'll make sure to post some from the 120-300.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 1:31 AM   #14

I have no doubt at all that the Mark II will perform dynamically. That's why you pay the money. I'm not confused about that at all. I am confused about why I'm sinking so much money into this hobby, though. It's like an addiction.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:43 PM   #15

If you care, I saw a good 500 f4.5 for sale. Contact me if you want more info. I know nothing about the seller (just to be clear) I just saw the info and went "I know someone who might care about that..."

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:28 PM   #16

Thanks eric, I'm going to stick with the 50-500, which has proven itself over and over for me, and rely on the spectacular ISO abilities of the Mark II to give me a few stops of light. I'm guessing that, with the 50-500 and the Mark II I'll be able to shoot at 1600 ISO and get great results, not to mention the 8 fps capture at 8 megapixels. My problem was where to best spend the money that I was willing to part with for the sake of better photos. My options were, to me, as follows:

- purchase the 500 F4.5 prime and keep my Rebel

- keep the 50-500 and purchase the Mark II

- sell everything and quit photography

I decided on the second option because I think that the action on the Mark II, in concert with this excellent lens that has a huge focal length and at least "2" stop ISO advantage, will give me what I want. It's a guess, yes, but I think an educated guess. Essentially, I'll be gaining the light via ISO rather than aperture, which is fine with me.

If I'm wrong then I'll probably choose the third option above.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:13 AM   #17

Well, I think I can speak for everyone that it will be a sad day if you choose three. (but if you do, I'll buy that Mark 2 from you. )

I thought you'd stick with the Mark II, but I had to check.

Eric
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:29 AM   #18

Thanks Eric, your impressions and comments are very important to me, and helpful indeed. As far as I'm concerned, and I know you'd disagree with me, I'm getting impressions from a professional when I get input from you.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:28 AM   #19

Well I won't deny I'm good (enough people have told me so that it eventually sinks in) but I think part of that is because of having very high standards. You all don't see the pictures that are bad that I just throw away. There are a lot of those. :-) (But a keeper rate of 10-20% is not unusual with birds, so it doesn't bother me really.)

But I'm not Pro. Not literally (I design parallel processing software for a living) and I don't think I'm good enough to be a Pro. But I appreciate the though.

I'm sure you'll love the Mark II. I'd sure love to have one, but I thought the 600mm was a better (if more expensive) choice. I just look at that Tri-Colored Heron shot and think "I wouldn't have gotten it without that lens." So far, I think I made the right choice (but when the fall warbler migration kicks in, I'm sure I'll want the Mark II again. :-) That AF is just amazing.)

Eric