Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 23, 2004, 4:32 PM   #11

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
NHL wrote:
Quote:
Zendragon wrote:
Quote:
My 28-70 is fine for 3/4 but still can't capture full length.
... You need a bigger studio then!
2. Up close a WA will give you the wrong perspective

NHL hits the nail on the head, that's the key word.

Solving the problem by using WA/shorter lens for limited space portrait studio is insane, you results will look strange and funny, you have no choice but get a bigger studio, period.

For the new Sigma 17-35mm F/2.8-4 EX DG lens, I heard nothing but praise for its excellent performance.

Cheers

Hmmm, this does make things more interesting. I thank you both for saving me some cash. So I am confused... prior to getting this camera, I used a Fujifinepix S602 which had no trouble zooming out far enough to allow me to get the shot I needed.

So what is the difference? You guys seem like pros for the Digital SLR photography bit while this is all new to me. When I was shooting 35 mm, my carry lens was a 28-75 and worked fine for what I needed. So using that theory, wouldn't a 17mm plus the 1.6 multiplier work out to like a 28 mm?:angry:
Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:35 PM   #12
NHL

Quote:
So I am confused... prior to getting this camera, I used a Fujifinepix S602 which had no trouble zooming out far enough to allow me to get the shot I needed. So what is the difference?
Your S602 is only 35mm at the wide!

Quote:
When I was shooting 35 mm, my carry lens was a 28-75 and worked fine for what I needed. So using that theory, wouldn't a 17mm plus the 1.6 multiplier work out to like a 28 mm?
How far were you away from the subject(s)?
1. The close distance "expands" the perspective
2. A wide focal lenght alone "do not distort" perspective (a lot of environmental portraits are made this way)
It's both (1) and (2) resulting from the small studio that will mess you up...

3. Have you thought about lighting in close quarter?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:05 PM   #13

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Your S602 is only 35mm at the wide!
Quote:
When I was shooting 35 mm, my carry lens was a 28-75 and worked fine for what I needed. So using that theory, wouldn't a 17mm plus the 1.6 multiplier work out to like a 28 mm?
How far were you away from the subject(s)?
1. The close distance "expands" the perspective
2. A wide focal lenght alone "do not distort" perspective (a lot of environmental portraits are made this way)
It's both (1) and (2) resulting from the small studio that will mess you up...

3. Have you thought about lighting in close quarter?
35mm, then maybe that's the ticket... but that is 35mm not 35mm x1.6 for the 602

How far were you away from the subject(s)? Maybe 10 feet or so away. Thanks for your help by the way.

Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote