Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 22, 2004, 7:16 PM   #1

This is pretty much the same thing I am hearing from everyone else, but I need help with lens selection.

I am buying an Canon eos 1ds, and feel I need lenses able to make this camera live up to it's reputation. I want a 24mm, a capability for 28-85, a good 50, something for portraits maybe a 105 or a good zoom which covers it. Then, I want long length capability (sigma 28-300 good enough????)

Well, if you want to give me some ideas cool. Daryl
darylj_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:17 PM   #2

This is pretty much the same old answer....you're buying an excellent camera, buy excellent lenses.... CANON L lenses fit the bill perfectly.

17-40mm f/4 L

24-70mm f/2.8 L

70-200mm f/2.8 or f/4 L

IMO, the Sigma 28-300 will not do justice to the 1Ds

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:20 PM   #3

Many lenses that are good enough for lesser cameras are not as good as the 1Ds. If you are buying the 1Ds you must have some money. So I will suggest some good lenses for you, but they will cost. I'll take them in order.

The Canon 24mm f2.8 USM is supposed to be VERY GOOD. The Canon 24mm f1.4 USM is supposed to be quite good.

The Canon 50mm f1.4 is VERY GOOD. The Canon 50mm f1.8 is quite good.

The best 28-X zoom is the Canon 24-70 f2.8 USM (yes, that is wider than you want.. but it does the job.) The Canon 28-70 f2.8 USM is almost as good. I don't see a 28-85, but maybe I'm missing it. Canon makes a 24-85, but is isn't nearly as good as that camera.

The standard portrate lens is either 50mm or 80mm but 105 will also work. Canon makes a 100 f2.8 USM macro which is amazing. Sigma makes a 105 f2.8 which is optically almost as good as the canon but the AF speed is much worse.

I would be surprised if there is a long zoomm worthy of that camera. Personally, I wouldn't consider it. Sigma's 100-300 f4 is considered good, but I don't know if its "good enough"... it might be.

All this info comes from:

http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html

I nice place to read about lens info. Of course, I'd look around some more before buying, but this is generally a good place to start.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:24 PM   #4

Jump in. Take some pictures. Start with a good prime. Learn the cam. Then you will have a better sense about what lenses to consider.
mscott821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:37 AM   #5

I had the question about lens selection for a eos 1ds. You recommended three zooms, which I have to admit I was hoping to keep the number of lenses I am buying right now down to a few as possible. Because of money. And zooms obviously have the greatest flexibility. However, I am suprised you didn't suggest at least one prime. Do you believe the quality of image won't suffer with exclusively zoom lenses? Are the primes not better in as far as optics?

Anyway, just thought I would pick you're brains a little more. Thanks. Daryl

Oh, question about the L lenses in general. They do make some bad ones don't they? or, is it: if they are L they are quality?
Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:40 AM   #6

Sorry, that last post was in reference to reply from Ohenry. I didn't know it was going to post on the forum. But I'll take any suggestions that anyone want to give. Thanks again. Daryl
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:04 AM   #7

Zooms are definitely not going to be as good as zooms for resolution, but to get the ranges you mentioned, you'd need a lot of primes:

24mm f1.4 or 2.8 -- Note that the 24mm f1.4 costs as much as the 24-70 f1.8

35mm f1.4 or f2 -- Again, the 35mm f1.4 costs as much as the 24-70 f1.8

50mm f1.4 or f1.8

85mm f1.2 or f1.8 -- This time, the f1.2 costs MORE than the 24-70

Long length, in a prime you'd be looking at at least the 300 f4.0 L IS but could go up to a 300 f2.8 L IS (and spend 3 times as much).

Primes will get you that aperture to shoot in low-light conditions without flash (i.e. larger than 2.8 apertures are only available via primes). But with digital, higher ISOs are definitely useable, especially on higher end cameras, so 2.8 might be adequate (although 1.8 or 1.4 adds the flexibility of even more light control).

Anyway, considering the range of focal lengths you want, I think ohenry was bang on the money. With my 10D I use the 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 50 f1.8 and the Sigma 20 f1.8. I use the two f1.8 lenses for indoor no flash shots (churches, museums where flash is prohibited, for example) and the 17-40 f4L and 70-200 f4L outdoors and for indoor venues with flash. Were I to have the $$, the 24-70 would be a consideration.

Remember though, when reading other's experiences with lenses, that you have no crop factor, while they may have 1.3 or 1.6 crop factors. So, when I say that I use the 17-40 as a main walkaround lens on my 10D, it might not be the case for the 1Ds as the 17-40 on a 10D is more like a 27-65, while on a 1Ds, the 17-40 really is a 17-40. To get the equivalent to what I use as my main walkaround lens would be the 24-70. Same thing on the long end -- my 70-200 is more like a 110-320 on the 10D. Long enough for my taste, but were I to switch to a 1Ds, would probably be too short.

"L" is the designation Canon gives to its "higher level" or "Pro" lenses. You rarely, if ever, see someone indicate that they prefer the results from a non-L lens over an L lens. You'll sometimes see someone refer to a certain lens as being "as good as an L" which is high praise for a lens.

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 8:34 AM   #8

I was recommending options, not necessarilly the ideal package. My point was that the 1Ds is a high end camera, don't mess around with cheap lenses. While the Sigma 28-300 zoom may be a decent consumer lens, it will pale in comparison to Canon L lenses and IMO it will not do justice to the capabilities of the camera. It's kind of like buying a BMW and putting a cheap set of WalMart tires on it. It works, but you could have done better.

Zooms have more flexibility, primes are generally sharper. In general, the wider range that the zoom covers, the less effective it is over the entire range. Of course, there are exceptions to it and this is just a general observation of personal use and reports from others.

Much depends on what you plan on shooting. For instance, wide angle lenses may not be you choice if you're planning on shooting pictures of birds. On the other hand, if you're doing landscape work, that 600mm prime lens is going to be the last thing you want on the camera.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:13 AM   #9

I wish I had the $$ to get that body! The main reason I continueshooting alotwith my filmEOS 3 instead of 100% with my Digital Rebel is the near/far compositionshots I like totake with my 17-40F4L when used at a true 17mm setting with the EOS 3.

If you are going to spend $8,000 on a full-frame digital SLR it makes no sense in going with a 28-300 zoom, or even the Canon 28-200. At the very leastspend the $1,300 is costs to buythe two zoom outfit of the 17-40 and 70-200 f4L zooms. The possibilities at 17mmwith afull 35mm-sizedframe are really fun.

If the $8,000 cost of the body blows your lens buying capability maybe you should be settling for the 1D Mark II for less money so you can afford lenses that match the quality of the camera.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote