Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:45 PM   #1

As a beginner photographer I am still learning but these two lenses have been highly recommended for sports photography. I will be photographing mostly running events. Will the Canon 70-200mm be enough if the runners are a good distance away like 50 yards or so? Also wondering about the IS featureon the Canon Lenses? Any comments on these two lenses will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
deana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2004, 1:47 PM   #2

Deana,

I've owned both. Initially I had the 70-200IS but now have the Sigma 120-300. For what I use the 120-300 for (outdoor action sports), it's perfect. There really isn't another lens like it. Of couse the Canon is a tremendous lens as well, but it didn't suit my needs for length. It's really a matter of research (test them if you can) and looking at what you'll be using it for. NHL has posted a number of links on the board about the Sigma. Here are just a couple of pictures I've taken with it.

Different game, same player getting HBP.

aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks for your input....nice photos. Where can I try out lenses? There are not many photo places in South Florida. If anyone knows of any please let me know. Thank You
deana is offline   Reply With Quote