Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:33 PM   #1
dk

I am hoping to find out from those who have used both the newer Digital and "older" 35mm style of lenses. Is there any real advantage to buying a digital lens. My concern is that the price of the digital cameras that have the sensors the same size as 35mm will drop to an affordable price thus making the digital lens unusable unless you stay with a small sensor. I am new to digital, but experienced enough in photography to know to look out for HYPE. thank you Dan
dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:58 PM   #2

You've hit the nail on the head.

Right now I'm using the Digital Rebel and it's1.6 factor crop. I do plan to eventually move up to at least a 1.3 crop digital SLR. I think the 1.6 cropped sensor is probably here to stay at the entryconsumer level, but I also think Canon's 1.3 and 1:1 cameras are going to drop in price enough that someday I'll have one. Why invest in a lens long-term that won't cover that imagefield today, irrespective of quality? You wouldprobably be hard pressed to see any visible improvement anyway inone of these newer "Digital only" lenses compared to afull 35mm frame designed lens, and don't quote or showscientific tests- I mean some difference you can actually see.Marketing- gotta luv it.

I also think that's why Canon has not introduced any new smaller fieldlenses like the EFs that are better built for 10D users- those folks want better qualitylenses.Until Canon starts making better-built small field lenses for the up-scale userI'll continue to believe they are thinking "bigger" in terms of future imaging sensors, unlike other makers who seem to be content to stay in the 1.5-1.6 factor range (hint, hint!).

Of course, they may introduce 5 EF-s type lensesthis fall and totally blow my theory away, who knows?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:49 PM   #3
dk

Thanks Greg, I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks this way, I haven't read a lens review that really covered the real performance of a lens. I don't know the last time I saw lens resolution in lines per mm in a LONG time. Most are incomplete. Thank you again Dan
dk is offline   Reply With Quote