Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:43 PM   #11

The Canon EF 35-135mm USMhas been discontinued here in the US and repalced by the 28-135mm IS. Streetwide price for the new 28-135mm ISis about $400 or less. I sold one in excellent condition, like new for about $315 2 months ago.

You may want to consider Canon USM for your Elan 7EN, Sigma doesn't make any mid-range price zoom lens with HSM, Tamron AF is slower than earth to use on Canon camera, other brands are even worse. May be the two popular Canon lenses for limited buget is the EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5 USM II and the EF 75-300mm F/3.5-5.6 IS.

Since you're using film camera, no crop factor will be applied, your camera is a full 35mm frame.

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:33 PM   #12

IS lens are too expensive for my budget at this momment.

The 35-135 USM taht I sew is an old used one for 200 dollars (in argentina), maybe later...

Thanks to all for the comments.

When I get the camera and shot some films, i will post my opinion about camera and lens

:|
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest10
Because some people don't read. It is a film camera. There is no crop.
Thanks for the jab. I really needed it. If you have anything else that is helpful and nice to say please, continue. Seeing as you have made 6 posts in your 18 days here, I greatly appreciate your level of contribution and your attitude fits well here.

I didn't remember that he was using film. This is a DIGITAL CAMERA forum, so can I be blamed for misremembering one of the many threads I take part in?

--------------

Actually, I've never used that lens, so I'm not saying that it's bad from personal experience. My favorite lens review site (which seems to be down now) says it's bad. This is the link, do the research yourself (hopefully it will be up when you try):
http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html

In the end, what people consider to be good is subjective. Some buy cheap wine and say it sucks, other say "its good enough for me". If you want to try it, try it. At least you can get it locally and it won't be as big a risk.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:31 PM   #14

eric s escribió:
Quote:
At least you can get it locally and it won't be as big a risk.
Yeap... but locally the price is at least 2x than in US.

Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:44 PM   #15

Ouch. That does make it harder. Easier to return, but more expensive.

Maybe you know someone who you can borrow it from? (Ya, its a stretch... gotta think creatively.)

BTW, that lens review site is working for me now. I've generally found it to be a very good source of info.

Eric
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:57 PM   #16

I found good reviews of this particular sigma lens here...

http://www.camerareview.com/template...fm?lens_id=983

4.14 stars of 5.

Reviews like this...
Quote:
This lens has become a real workhorse for me since I bought it three years ago. It stays on my camera at least 80% of the time. Occasionally, I'll want to go wider than 28mm and it stays on the rest of the time.
A great lens for travel. Who wants to go out and miss a bunch of shots because you're constantly changing lenses? The range is exellent for those wishing to keep lens changes to a minimum.
The optics are quite acceptable. At least I've had little problem with them. I'm not so sure other comparable offerings are significantly better. All certainly cost more.
It may not be the fastest gun in the west when it comes to AF speed, but I've found it fast enough under most circumstances. It does "hunt" a little in low light, but what AF lens (except a Canon L) doesn't? Please remember that this isn't a 28-80 with a constant f/2.8. The speed is surprisingly fast for a lens of its range and certainly faster than I thought it would be.
or this

Quote:
This lens is an absolutely wonderful bargain. For less than $250 you get wide-angle to telephoto, with close focusing at all focal lengths! While I suspected that this cheap 3rd-party lens would be a compromise (compared to a 28-105/100-300 Canon USM setup) I am very pleased with the results I've had so far. Perhaps the most useful feature I've found for this lens is being able to focus down to 19 inches at 200mm. I was able to get some beautiful macro shots of a blooming dogwood buds yesterday, then back it out and get the whole tree without changing lenses. Also, autofocus with my Rebel 2000 is plenty fast and accurate. And forget all the things you hear about build quality of 3rd-party lenses -- this lens feels very solid in my hands, suitable for any amateur's needs.
Hopefully it would be a nice buy... I already place the order...

To the other side... i have to wait until september 12 to get my camera... :evil:
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:02 AM   #17

I hope you enjoy using the lens, not spending time try to sell it.

I would not touch any Sigma lens if it's not EX series and have no HSM, your Canon digital SLR deserve better.

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:50 PM   #18

[email protected] escribió:
Quote:
your Canon digital SLR deserve better.
Well... i think i wasnt that clear...

is a 35mm system. :-)

And i have to keep budget under 500 dollars. aranoid:

Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:48 PM   #19

KEH in Atlanta, GA normally has quite a few of those Canon 35-135's around. Only buy one if itis USM.

L8R

Hurtman
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:45 AM   #20

If KEH ships internationally, it might be worth it. From all I've heard, they are a good store.

For the really "in near perfect shape" stuff, they charge almost new prices. But they have a good reputation, so I bet they mark the level of wear properly. So if it's optically good but shows a lot of use... who cares? It would be worth the money saved.

Eric