Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:55 PM   #11

Of course, if you have about 10 feet & need a good headshot the 70-200 f4 is really good to:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2482801
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:57 AM   #12

Whow, I really like both, the pictues with thje 70 f4L and the pictures with the 50 1.8. I think my overall fovorite is the one of the cat, man it looks as though it is going to jump out at you. It has more or a 3D affect instead of looking flat like most of my pictures with the 55-200. Is this an affect of the 50 1.8? also, why do you shoot some of your photos at such a high ISO. I noticed some of the ones with the dogs are at ISO1600. I don't think I have ever gone beyond 800 with my Drebel. Is this a way of softing the photo so that it is not too sharp with the 50? I know it sounds funny but that was the only conplaint I heard about the 50 is that it may be too sharp for portraits showing unpleasant details. Overall you have made me very content with my purchase of the Drebel. I was kind of wishing I had gotten the Nikon d70. Now, I see that all I need are a few really good lens and more practice. However, I am kind of leaning towards investing mainy in primes. When I really need good quality it is under controlled settings. They seem to be a little more affordable. I don't see myself buying something like a 70-200 2.8l IS. I would buy 3 primes 50 1.8, 100 f2, EF 135 or 200 F2. It seems like with extenders you would get more for your money with the faster lens. Plus the zooms are so damn BIG and heavy looking..

Thanks for you help

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:55 AM   #13

I shot those at high ISO ratingsto avoid using flash. The red dog in particular is afraid of big flash units and built-in flashes create awful looking redeye effects, except in dogs they are green-eye or some other ugly color and I have not yet seen a redeye correction program thatfixes it verywell. My cat isn't particularly found of flash units either, and it's easy to get back to the correct color balance afterwards in the RAW processor so I shoot at 1600 or 3200 so I can get to 1/30 sec or faster indoors without flash. The look at those higher ratings is so much better than what I used to get with film rated at those speeds.

Primes will give better results, no question, if you aren't in a hurry to get a different lens on. A 24-50-100 would be a great trio, but there's so many possible options depending on your style of shooting. For a while I considered a three lens combination of 20 f2.8, 28-135 IS and 200 f2.8, butdecided on my two zoom & one prime setup & have been very happy with it.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 3:15 AM   #14

I got setup on Photo.net after seeing your portfolio (Thanks).

I have not had time to up load many yet, but here are my first pics up...

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=417633

Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:38 AM   #15

Nice pictures. That's alot of girls to be working with at one time!

You'll like that site. Like this one, there's some good forums regarding EOS, digital cameras and digital darkroomsand a good classified area to buy and sell.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 7:23 PM   #16

Here is a nice picture taken with the 55-200. I have a bunch of new photos on this site. Some of the newest ones are shot using RAW which is forcing me to shoot in Manual Mode which I think is great. I feel like I have more control of photos now. Reducing my zoom from 200 to about 135, increasing my shutter speed to 200 and apertuure from f5.6 to F8 and now I have really sharp picture with a lens I thoght was terrible at first. I don't think I need to 70-200 F4L right now but I am still going to get the 50 1.8.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=417633

Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:33 PM   #17

I have the 70-200L f4 and I love this lens. I had the old Canon 70-210 before and the difference in quality is unbelievable. Even stopped down the 70-210 is much worse than the 70-200L wide open. There is just no comparison. I think it's a worthwhile investment.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:29 AM   #18

Yea, after reading the hundreds of reviews of people swearing by the 70-200 F4L I know it is only a mattrer of time before I own it. EVRERYBODY who has one loves it and many say it is the best value L series lens canon makes. I have the 50 1.8 on order to see how much of a difference a faster lens makes. Many pros have told me to go ahead and get the 70-200 F2.8L. I don't know if the speed will make nuch of a difference to me or not. I have found that I do perfer shooting natural light over flash, but then again I only have the 420EX.

The F4L is more affordable and something I can get sooner, hopefully I will be able to afford it if the 50 1.8 is a good as people say it is.. From now own I will only invesat in L or prime lens, no more cheapies.

Thanks for your input.