Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:09 PM   #1

I am going to purchase the D Rebel and use it for sports. I currently use an A2 35mm with a 100-400 Vivitar lens. It is not that great of a lens so I want to get some opinions on some of the lenses that you use. I am looking for a zoom around 400mm. I know the D Rebel multiplies 1.6 so I guess I could go with a 300 zoom too, but the 400 with the 1.6 magnification makes it a 640. That is pretty sweet. I think the 200 mm would be too small, but maybe a 200 2.8 zoom would be nice so I can do some stuff indoors. Anyway, can you reccomend a zoom lens in the $1000 or less range that you like for sports. I will also use this lens for other stuff too so versitility would be nice.

Thanks,
Roy
royy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:14 PM   #2

Are you shooting indoor or outdoor sports? That effects what aperture you can use (which directly effects cost.)
What about tripod use? Can you use them where you shoot?

If not, then IS might be your only choice. It won't help with moving subjects, of course, but at least it will help your movement.

I don't know many zooms in that price range and 400mm.
Sigma's 80-400 with Optical Stabilization might work. The fstop is a bit bad at f5.6, though. Hard to stop action unless its well lit.

The Canon 100-400 is a nice lens, but its too expensive. Maybe you could find it used?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:19 PM   #3

I most likely will be doing outdoor sports, but may do some basketball. I would be usning a monopod. A tripod would restict my movement too much. I may just try to get the extra cash up and get the 400 zoom with IS, but I would rathur stay under $1000. I may go with the Sigma 200 mm zoom at 2.8 and get the extender for good bright days. That would give me the long zoom for football and baseball, and still give me a fast lens if I do basketball, or any other indoor sports. What do you all think I should do.

Roy
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:39 PM   #4

The monopod should help, so that is good news.
Sigma's 70-200 f2.8 (or is it 80-?) is a good lens. I'm not sure its under $1000.

Some form of optical stabilization is never a bad thing, but you have to have the money for it. And when combined with f2.8, it's expensive. So I don't blame you if you take a pass on it.

Do you keep track of what focal lengths you use with the vivitar? If so, that should tell you how much focal length is enough reach? (do remember, you get a 1.6x crop factor to make the lens seem longer... the 200 has a view of a 320mm.)

I'm not sure that 200mm is enough reach for basketball, it depends on where you sit. For outdoor sports you have the same issue. If you can follow the game, or are willing not to get shots of the other end of the field, then it would work with football.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:05 PM   #5

I'd go for the Canon f2.8L 70-200. You can pick one of these up used for around $850-$950 - depending on how "mint" it is. You'll be able to shoot basketball at up to 800 ISO with decent ISO noise clean-up tools, and it just doesn't get much better than the glass in this lens for a zoom, unless you go with the IS version, and there is some debate about the IS version not being quite as sharp as the non-IS version. I'd suggest that you go to a number of the sites around and read the reviews on the lenses available. The 100-400 IS L is a 4.0-5.6 lens, and I think that you'll find that to be a bit slow, and a bit long in some situations. Final analysis - Canon - 2.8 70-200L, then, pick up the Canon 1.4x to get you up to 448 mm with only the loss of one f-stop at that magnification. The 1.4x is optically superior to the 2x, and is outstanding glass. Just my opinion.

http://www.pbase.com/wmlarso

Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:48 AM   #6

70-200mm 2.8 is perfect on a 1.6 the its makes the end a 320 which is perfectly usable for most sports. As long as your not screwed on access and its usefull for indoor sports, its also a solid lens that should last for years.
Sergey85z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:10 AM   #7
NHL

Here's a different opinion:

The Sigma 100-300 f/4.0 EX HSM is extremely sharp, better than its 120-300 f/2.8 cousin @ a fraction of the price. This lens new costs about the same as a used Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, but doesn't need another TC element in its path...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 1:27 PM   #8

Any of the 70-200 L series Canons would work great. I use the 70-200 f4. Sometimes I need to bump the ISO up to 800 for indoor hockey but it works well for a $600 lens. Here's folder of a few baseball shots I've taken. I update this often with other sports as the seasons change.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=415937

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:28 PM   #9

NHL, is it really better than the 2.8? I heard some great things about the 2.8. I was even considering going over budget and getting it. I wonder if the 4.0 would be fast enough to stop action on an overcast day with a 1.4 extender?

Roy