Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 21, 2004, 3:11 PM   #1

I plan on buying a Canon EOS d20. I currently own no lenses. I have used a Canon Pro90IS for about three years and like the long reach of the 37-370 mm equivalent stabilized lens but the camera is very slow to focus and doesn't perform very well in low light.

The 17-85mm stabilized kit lens looks great, but at $500 is a bit pricey for my taste. I'd like more reachso a second lens would be required, perhaps a 75-300IS. Another alternative is the lower priced 18-55mm kit lens at about $150 plus a second longer zoom lens.

I shoot a lot of scenery and family type photos as well as some wildlife pictures.

I would prefer to keep the number of lenses I have to carry around within reason. I'm alsonot made of money. Any suggestions?
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2004, 7:12 PM   #2

Consider Tamron and Sigma lenses as a less expensive alternative to Canon lenses. Any lens designed to fit a Canon EF mount will work on the 20D. Find some that suit your budget and range desired, then get some opinions on the performance of those lenses. I suggest you visit www.bhphotovideo.com to get some ideas for what is available and pricing.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:50 PM   #3

ohenry wrote:
Quote:
Any lens designed to fit a Canon EF mount will work on the 20D.

I heard that Sigma Prime lenses will not work with the newer Canon SLR cameras.?
firestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:35 AM   #4

Wildmanwrote:
Quote:
The most important part of any camera is the lens, whether it's a digital or "chemical" one. I would avoid any camera on which you can't find a review.... Spend a few more dollars and get something that will do the job.
Good advice, even if it's takena bit out of context.

More sample images and reviews for the 20D are going to be coming out, startingtomorrow. I'd check out the comments on the 17-85 IS. If it is as good as the Tamron 24-75 XR Di f/2.8, and you need a true wide angle (I can hardly imagine that you don't), then thatmay bethe lens to get.

If it is not as good as the Tamron in image quality, then I'd suggest the Tamron plus the kit 18-55 for true wide-angle needs. It's fairly small and light -- you could keep it around for the times that you need it, and of course use the better lens whenever possible.

What are the other recommendations? Canon 50, 28-135, 17-40 L. Some things don't change just because there's a new body coming out -- the good lenses are those that people have found to be good in the past, and they're typically pricier than the bottom-level consumer lenses. That Tamron and primes are some exception to the pricingrule. I don't have much experience with Sigma, but they also play in this space -- sometimes giving good quality for less money. Tokina too.

My comments are of course slanted by the thoughts that lens quality matters, and that it's something of a shame to have really nice cameras with second-rate lenses. Better to have fewer lenses / narrower range to start, and more lenses / range bought over a longer period of time, IMO.

Note also the 1.6 multiplier -- 75-300 will cover a film equivalent 120-480, and 70-200 -> 112-320. (And 28-135 ->45-216).
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:37 AM   #5

firestick wrote:
Quote:
ohenry wrote:
Quote:
Any lens designed to fit a Canon EF mount will work on the 20D.

I heard that Sigma Prime lenses will not work with the newer Canon SLR cameras.?
Sigma "adjusts" lenses when required. A hassle perhaps, but I'm sure that if you buy a lens marked as Canon EF mount, that you'll get it working at the end, and at least, refunded / replaced.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:59 AM   #6

Same, planning on buying the D20. Does anyone know when they are being shipped? I saw it listed on Ritz.com for $1,499 but no ship date.

Also considering which lenses to buy with $1500 to spend. Want to cover the 24 to 300 mm distances but keep the lenses as fast as possible. Maybe 2, maybe 3? Any suggestions appreciated. I'd like to stick to Canon lenses.

Thanks
markbixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 5:20 PM   #7

Here are a couple of recommendations:

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

EF 50mm f.1.8

EF 28-135mm USM IS

These three would be a little over $1500
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:29 PM   #8

markbixby wrote:
Quote:
Same, planning on buying the D20. Does anyone know when they are being shipped? I saw it listed on Ritz.com for $1,499 but no ship date.

Also considering which lenses to buy with $1500 to spend. Want to cover the 24 to 300 mm distances but keep the lenses as fast as possible. Maybe 2, maybe 3? Any suggestions appreciated. I'd like to stick to Canon lenses.

Thanks

It's fun to spend other peoples' money...

24/1.6 = 15. 300/1.6 = 187.5. 15 is a bit too small. Suggest satisficing with 17 instead. If not, then you're probably stuck with the 10-22 which, one hopes, should be a really cool lens. $750 USD let's say. Leaves $750. 70-200 f/4 L = $550. Leaves $200. $170 short for the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Get them used perhaps.

Let's try again. $370 + $550 for the Tamron and the 70-200 = $920. Leaves $580. $95 short of the 17-40 f/4 L. Doh! But it's enough for the Tokina 17 - $410. Leaves $170 for shipping (not to menion taxes).

Prices from B&H web site. I can honestly recommend the above set, though not based on personal experience with all these lenses.

As I've used B&H for pricing, it's a good source for such information.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:51 PM   #9

I appreciatethe feedback on the lenses.

Any favorite & reliable camera/lens sites sources on the internet you've used that give USA warranty and good service (other than B&H, which I've used with good experiences, but not always the lowest price)?

Thanks

markbixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 3:14 PM   #10

I own a Sigma 400MM 5.6 HSM with Macro, manufactured in 2001. It will not work on a Digital Rebel (Error 99)and Sigma has told me it cannot be upgraded. Does anyone know if there is a third party that can do an upgrade? It's a great lens on my Film EOS.
donhille is offline   Reply With Quote