Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:51 PM   #1

Recently went on a trip with a friend and in comparing photos of landscapes, I noticed how much better his photos turned out using a polarizing filter. So, I am looking to purchase one for my Canon 28-135 IS USM (72mm thread) on a DRebel. Currently this is my only lense. Are there any suggestions for which brand to buy? Based upon some other threads I saw, the Hoya Super Multi colored filter was recommended - but it is about twice as pricey as their normal circular polarizer ($130 vs. 65) - with this particular lense would I notice the difference? None of the other lenses I am looking at eventually getting have the same thread so I'm wondering if a $130 filter is overkill for this lense. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2

Do you also have a UV filter on your lens? Do you plan on stacking the UV and polarizer filter, or are you going to swap them? If you stack, you might consider a higher quality polarizer, even a thin one.

Make sure the UV filter you buy has a front-thread. That's handy otherwise the standard Canon lens cap will not fit on the filter.

A $130 filter is probably overkill. The top-of the line filters are indeed the Hoya Super HMC or Super HMC PRO and the multi-coated B&Ws. Look on ebay, there are good prices there for filters.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3

Yes, I have a UV filter and would likely stack the filters unless swapping them would end up saving me $50.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote