Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-lenses-61/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 33997] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-lenses/32899-recovered-thread-33997-a.html)

Greg Chappell Sep 2, 2004 11:36 AM

Someone just pointed this out on another website. Without any fanfare, Canon has dropped the 17-40 f4L from their USA website. Interesting. I guess the 10-22 EFS has displaced it at a higher price despite not having sold a single unit yet. Glad I bought mine before I had to choose between paying the much higher price for a 16-35 f2.8 or the consumer-quality 20-35 EF.

Ctrack Sep 2, 2004 1:42 PM

I just bought the 17-40L. Great lens. Just returned from photo trip to New Mexico. Even though I have several other canon lenses it was the only lens I needed to shoot 200+ pics. Wonder what Canon plans to do with 17-40L since it is an "L" series vs the new lens which is not.

eric s Sep 3, 2004 8:10 AM

I am afraid they will replace it with a DO lens. When the 400 f4 DO came out I read a really well done interview with 3 of its creators. When asked "what will you work on next?" one answered that they would like to make a wide angle with DO. I sure hope not, as the optics of the DO lenses are not good enough (especially for the extra cost!)

I really didn't want to believe you but I looked it up too. It isn't listed. Sad. Its a lovely lens. Now I don't feel as bad having one but only using it on special occasions. When you need it, its a great lens. And now it will become hard to get.

Eric

PeterP Sep 3, 2004 8:46 AM

Too bad that was a good lens. Don't think it is replaced by and ef-s lense, they can't be used on any of the pro 1d series bodies.

Although with a hacksaw and guts you can modify it to work on the 10D. :?

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:

Someone just pointed this out on another website. Without any fanfare, Canon has dropped the 17-40 f4L from their USA website. Interesting. I guess the 10-22 EFS has displaced it at a higher price despite not having sold a single unit yet. Glad I bought mine before I had to choose between paying the much higher price for a 16-35 f2.8 or the consumer-quality 20-35 EF.

barthold Sep 3, 2004 3:35 PM

Wow, I can't believe it! The 17-40L is a great lens. Why drop it? Maybe Canon figured out it was selling them too cheaply, and new (more expensive) model will be out soon?

Barthold

PeterP Sep 3, 2004 3:43 PM

:cart:Man I hope you are not right, but you might have something there.

The Canon 16-35L and 24-70L both F2.8 are selling for about 2100$cdn. The 17-40L though an F4.0 was listed at only 999.99$cdn. They probably hope people opt for the 16-35L at only 2x the price.:mad:for that extra stop.:?

Better get the 17-40L while some stores still have stock :P

Graeme Shiomi Sep 3, 2004 4:01 PM

Check out this link:
http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/ef/catal...wide_zoom.html

You can see the 17-40 f4L is still there. If you scroll down to the bottom you can see the full listing of Canon's lenses, which now includes the EF-S lenses, so it isn't out of date.

This means one of two things:
1) Canon USA's site has an error
2) Canon USA will stop distributing the 17-40 f4L, but Canon Japan will still continue to manufacture it.

Graeme

MarcS Sep 3, 2004 5:06 PM

I too saw this today and called the Canon number, they checked and confirmed that the lens is being dropped...

Railfire Sep 4, 2004 12:45 AM

This makes NO sense at all! I hope that Canon has something good to replace it with & NOT something stupid, like they are noted to do!

Gandalf065 Sep 4, 2004 10:27 AM

I confirmed as well with Canon on Friday.

This really sucks, as I was thinking of buying this lens, but have to save up a bit... As with all, I hope they replace this lens with something nice. From what I have read, aside from being 1 stop faster, a lot of people like the 17-40 a bit better than the 16-35! hmm....