Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:36 PM   #1

Someone just pointed this out on another website. Without any fanfare, Canon has dropped the 17-40 f4L from their USA website. Interesting. I guess the 10-22 EFS has displaced it at a higher price despite not having sold a single unit yet. Glad I bought mine before I had to choose between paying the much higher price for a 16-35 f2.8 or the consumer-quality 20-35 EF.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:42 PM   #2

I just bought the 17-40L. Great lens. Just returned from photo trip to New Mexico. Even though I have several other canon lenses it was the only lens I needed to shoot 200+ pics. Wonder what Canon plans to do with 17-40L since it is an "L" series vs the new lens which is not.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 9:10 AM   #3

I am afraid they will replace it with a DO lens. When the 400 f4 DO came out I read a really well done interview with 3 of its creators. When asked "what will you work on next?" one answered that they would like to make a wide angle with DO. I sure hope not, as the optics of the DO lenses are not good enough (especially for the extra cost!)

I really didn't want to believe you but I looked it up too. It isn't listed. Sad. Its a lovely lens. Now I don't feel as bad having one but only using it on special occasions. When you need it, its a great lens. And now it will become hard to get.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 9:46 AM   #4

Too bad that was a good lens. Don't think it is replaced by and ef-s lense, they can't be used on any of the pro 1d series bodies.

Although with a hacksaw and guts you can modify it to work on the 10D. :?

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Someone just pointed this out on another website. Without any fanfare, Canon has dropped the 17-40 f4L from their USA website. Interesting. I guess the 10-22 EFS has displaced it at a higher price despite not having sold a single unit yet. Glad I bought mine before I had to choose between paying the much higher price for a 16-35 f2.8 or the consumer-quality 20-35 EF.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 4:35 PM   #5

Wow, I can't believe it! The 17-40L is a great lens. Why drop it? Maybe Canon figured out it was selling them too cheaply, and new (more expensive) model will be out soon?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 4:43 PM   #6

:cart:Man I hope you are not right, but you might have something there.

The Canon 16-35L and 24-70L both F2.8 are selling for about 2100$cdn. The 17-40L though an F4.0 was listed at only 999.99$cdn. They probably hope people opt for the 16-35L at only 2x the price.for that extra stop.:?

Better get the 17-40L while some stores still have stock :P
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 5:01 PM   #7

Check out this link:
http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/ef/catal...wide_zoom.html

You can see the 17-40 f4L is still there. If you scroll down to the bottom you can see the full listing of Canon's lenses, which now includes the EF-S lenses, so it isn't out of date.

This means one of two things:
1) Canon USA's site has an error
2) Canon USA will stop distributing the 17-40 f4L, but Canon Japan will still continue to manufacture it.

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 6:06 PM   #8

I too saw this today and called the Canon number, they checked and confirmed that the lens is being dropped...
MarcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:45 AM   #9

This makes NO sense at all! I hope that Canon has something good to replace it with & NOT something stupid, like they are noted to do!

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:27 AM   #10

I confirmed as well with Canon on Friday.

This really sucks, as I was thinking of buying this lens, but have to save up a bit... As with all, I hope they replace this lens with something nice. From what I have read, aside from being 1 stop faster, a lot of people like the 17-40 a bit better than the 16-35! hmm....
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote