Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:18 AM   #11

Philip-

Now you are on the right track. Concern yourself more with the technique and method YOU use - rather than the camera/lens. Anticipate your shot - when it works, then that is the "I-got-it" feeling of a real photographer. This in the long run, is what its all about !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:27 PM   #12

20D, 17-40f/4L, 70-200f/4L, 50f/1.4, 1.4 TC more than enough to start out, and saves $$$.
jag147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:34 PM   #13

Well, I made my purchase. I picked up the 20D, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, and 70-200mm 2.8L. I may still pick up the 50mm 1.8 and the 1.4x extender later. I feel I got good priceson all the above.

I chose to go for the best I could get and add the small stuff later. Thanks so much for your help. I had a great time researching this. Hopefully, I won't regret my choices. Thanks again!
Philip Loyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 4:01 PM   #14

I bought a 24-70L for my 300D earlier this year and posted most of my experiences dealing with Canon on this site. The experience was negative.

The gist of it was that after sending my lens back and forth from two difference Canon facilities, I finally found someone who knew what was going on--a superviser at the East coast center. He admitted that the 24-70L had a compatibility/focusing problem with the 300D and that I needed to send the lens in to his facility to have it recalibrated.I did, and eventually his people got it right and now that lens takes terrific photos with my Digital Rebel--sharp with fantistic colors and tonality.

I suspect, the new 20D might have similar problems with the 24-70L and that you might have to send it in for recalibration.

I don't believe many owners of 300Ds know that the lens and the camera are not in sync and that the photos are not sharp. The difference is subtle. It took days of me comparing photos with my other lenses for me to admit to myself that I paid big bucks for a lens that took photos no better than my cheaper ones. If it were not for stellar reviews by owners on sites such as this one, I would never have started bugging Canon about the lens.

If I had it to do all over again, I would not have bothered. I spent 3 months and a lot of money shipping the thing back and forth to Canon. However, if you get lucky and get a lens that does not need any calibration and therefore no headache dealing with Canon, then go for it. It is a good lens . . . when it's working right.
fsm2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:13 PM   #15

Well done. Now that you have the best Canon Lenses offered, let's see some pics from you! ::|

Congrats on your purchase!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:44 PM   #16

Is there a simple way for a rank amature to figure out if mine needs calibrated? I may take pictures and never know it. If I pay for quality, I want the quality, even if I don't know how to use it. SMILE
Philip Loyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 9:25 PM   #17

Philip, I am an amateur/enthusiast too. And my perspective was the same as yours. If I paid up big for something it better be working right. I was disappointed with my 24-70L from the start because it did not come near the quality I had expected. So I tested it. I took photos under several different lighting conditions with several lenses--the 18-55 USM lens that came with the camera, a 55-200 USM ($150), a 50MM f/1.8 ($50) and last, my brand new 24-70L ($1500 or so). The color was consistently better on the 24-70L but sharpness was best on my 50MM (it only cost me $60) and no better than my other lenses. Also, the photos I took manually were sharper than the 24-70L's autofocus (similar tests on my other lenses yielded the opposite results.)

Initially, I made excuses for the 24-70L but one day I just had to admit it to myself--the 24-70L was either grossly over-rated to the point that people were smoking dope, or something was wrong with my particular lens. And so started my Odyssey with Canon.

Philip, play around with the lens. If you can't from the start tell the difference between the quality of the 24-70L and another one of your lenses, then start testing, because the performance of a $1500 lens better be noticeably exceptional. (You should also consider picking up the 50MM f/1.8.)

After finally getting the right service from Canon, I am now happy with the performance of my 24-70L. If you find that you are unhappy with yours and want to discuss it with Canon, drop me an email. I have the right contact people at Canon for you somewhere in my files. Drop me an email at [email protected] with 24-70L in the subject line (otherwise I might mistake your email for span and delete it.)

Good luck. Hope your lens works well right out of the box!
fsm2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:14 PM   #18

Yup, gotta see pictures :-)

Yes, do some tests, but do them on a tripod. You can take shots with your different lenses of the text of the box the lens came in. Do it straight on and at an angle. I found my 24-70 to be the best of the bunch, followed by the 17-40 and then the 70-200.

In the end what counts is how happy you are with them, and what pictures you take! Enjoy shooting.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:14 AM   #19

OMG!!!

Well that's one way to do it. The problem is you will not have anything left to buy...you alread bought the best glass. The good thing is if you purchased the equiptment at a good price it holds its value very well.
gfather is offline   Reply With Quote