Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 17, 2004, 5:51 AM   #1

My son bought a digital camera and gave me back my old Canon film camera along with a prime lens and a zoom lens. Are these 2 lenses any good and will they work on the newer Canon mount? I know they are not auto focus.
Canon FD 50mm f1.8
Canon FD 70-210mm f4

Thanx,

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:15 AM   #2
NHL

No they won't work properly on the EOS bodies
I have a collection myself from my college days: the FL/FD couple through a pusher and lever combination while the newer EF lenses are all with electronic contacts!

You can get adapters for them but even so their inner diameters are smaller, and I guess with the smaller sized sensor it wouldn't vignette too much...
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nses/fdeos.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:40 PM   #3

Yep. Total Bummer! I lost 8 FD lenses (traded some, sold 1) & gave 3 to my 18 year old along with a T90. The 3 he got are the ones I wish I could have used! 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8 (the old Breech Lok mount) - sturdy as a rock! And a 80-200mm 4.0L!

I once opened a friend's pickup truck door as we had been out shooting all day (BD - Before Digital & EOS) & my T90 & 85mm 1.8 rolled out of the truck floor & hit the pavement. The results . . . . One small Ding on the end of the 85mm 1.8. It cost me $5.00 for a guy to fix it so I could use a filter on it again!

Now show me an EOS camera & lens that will survive this! NOT!!! I have a friend who dropped the 50mm 1.8 on the carpet & it shattered - only 2 weeks old. Canon told him they couldn't do anything about it, so he bought the 50mm 1.4 USM lens.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:45 PM   #4

Thanx guys,
Is there any place besides ebay I might be able to sell them? I also have an A-1 body. I've never bought/sold anything on ebay, and I'm not anxious to start.

Thanx,
Ron
Old Sep 18, 2004, 3:36 AM   #5

Photo.net has a classified area where you can list equipment and sell it in either an auction type setting, or just list it with a price and see if you get any takers. I'm here to tell you right now though...manual focus stuff is CHEAP these days, unless you are selling Leica equipment, and even the more common stuff is a little down (all things relative here!) in price. Nikon manual stuff still holds some value but is still way down in price from where it was only a year or two ago.

You can put together a fine manual Canon outfit with mint FD lenses really cheap these days, so don't expect you'll make a big profit selling them anywhere, and a 50mm f1.8 Canon is as cheap as they come. I'd be shocked if you got more than $25-$30 for it.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:05 PM   #6

It's a buyers', not a sellers' market for FD stuff, because it's a dead end and because film is on the decline. However, the A-1 shouldget abetter price than the plastic bodies, because it's well-featured, decent looking, and metal bodied (and people who are looking for older cameras are more likely to get them).

I see local stores listing the F-1n for almost double of what I paid for mine (used, privately) several years ago. I think that was the case even before Spiderman2 came out

The 50 1.8 should be agood lens, but very inexpensive. Can't comment on the 70-210 f/4 (though I really like the 80-200 f/4 L - is there a resemblance perhaps?).

The viewfinder of a A-1 should be far far better than the cropped DSLR viewfinders of present. Of course you should use a fast lens like the 50 1.8 when trying to judge the quality of the viewfinder.

I'm counting the months & years until I (can afford to) get something like that in a DSLR..

BTW, I'm not selling my F-1n (in fact, I recently got a very nice 50 1.4 lens for it). I still enjoy using it on occasion.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 2:31 PM   #7

Thanx all -
Would anyone care to hazard an openion as to whether I should try to sell the body and lenses together or seperately?

Ron
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:26 PM   #8

I would sell the body+50mm together, and the 70-200 by itself. People putting an FD outfit together todayusually are looking for separate lenses so they can find the best possible examples for their set. Back when I was shopping for this type stuff I usually passed on complete outfitsbecause there wasalwayssomething included I had no interest in. But if I were looking for a body I never minded it being included with a 50mm lens.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote