Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:41 AM   #21

The lens arrived and I am happy with the quality. I could not take any outside shots we were in the middle of thunderstorms. We only average about 8 and 1/2 inches of rain here in El Paso, TX. Would you know we would have heavy rain on the day I wanted to take photos with my L lens. I took some shots indoors of wife's ceramic collection and they were great. Hopefully I can post some pics after this weekend. I am headed to Cloudcroft NM. Hope to catch some of the color change. Cloudcroft sets at 9000 feet. Going to play golf and shoot some photos.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:02 PM   #22

I was able to take a few pictures at lunch. What I noticed if I was to close to an object, I could not get the lens to autofocus. If I back away then everything worked fine. I have the distance switch set to the lowest settings. Is this normal.

Phil
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:09 PM   #23

Mealers wrote:
Quote:
My 70-200 f/4'L' arrived today and i've just got back from taking a few test shots and i'm shocked by just how good it is! I know everyone rants about just how good 'L' glass is and i was sceptical to how much better it was to my Sigma EX HSM APO lens. For me, the Canon wins hands down, and l'll be saving for my next 'L' lens.
Mealers, could you quantify this for those of us who haven't yet got L glass? I'd love to see some comparison shots of pictures from your new lens versus your Sigma lens. Where is it better in the image? etc, etc...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:10 PM   #24
Zal

How close were you?

I took a quick look at the specs on B&H's site, and the minimum focus distance is listed at 3.9 feet. So, if you were closer than 4 feet, I would expect the lens not to be able to focus.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:50 PM   #25

Zal

I looked at the specs and I think you are on the money. Now to decide on the 17-40L or the 24-70 L.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:42 PM   #26

I posted some sample photos at www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620 I will post better shots when I return from the mountains. The colors are on the nose. The three bums are my best friends. They don't eat much and they don't complain.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:47 PM   #27

gibsonpd3620 wrote:
Quote:
Zal

I looked at the specs and I think you are on the money. Now to decide on the 17-40L or the 24-70 L.
I was in the same boat as you. I have the kit lens, 50 1.8 and the 70-200 4L. I was going back and forth between the 17-40 4, the 17-35 2.8, the 28-70 2.8, and the 24-70 2.8.

I just bought the 24-70 2.8L today and I hope it's going to be just the thing. :-):-)

gfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 7:27 AM   #28

gfather

I will wait for your's to come in and provide us with some examples. All the examples I have seen so far are outstanding. Does the gfather stand grandfather?
Old Oct 1, 2004, 1:28 PM   #29

gibsonpd3620 wrote:
Quote:
Zal

I finally caved in & ordered the 17-40L yesterday. Should be here in a week and I will post the results.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 3:36 PM   #30

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Mealers wrote:
Quote:
My 70-200 f/4'L' arrived today and i've just got back from taking a few test shots and i'm shocked by just how good it is! I know everyone rants about just how good 'L' glass is and i was sceptical to how much better it was to my Sigma EX HSM APO lens. For me, the Canon wins hands down, and l'll be saving for my next 'L' lens.
Mealers, could you quantify this for those of us who haven't yet got L glass? I'd love to see some comparison shots of pictures from your new lens versus your Sigma lens. Where is it better in the image? etc, etc...
geoffs,
One thing i have noticed is that the Sigma tends to soften at minimum and maximum focal distances. Saying that, if i wasnt happy with it i would of traded it in.
The Canons quality is in the sharpness, it kinda jumps out at ya more.
In a way i hate to jump on the band wagon and praise 'L' glass up even more. Its alot of money for an amateur to stump up, but i guess ive been lucky in that i've managed to sell a few pictures to the guys down the beach and i've been saving my pennys.
Weather permitting i should be able to get out tommorrow and take a few shots. l'll start a new thread with a comparison of the 2 lenses so you can make your own mind up.

Mealers
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote