Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:10 PM   #1

Well Now that I picked my new lens I want to get some filters for it. A UV is a must, and with me wanting to go to the lake and local ponds a polarizer would be very nice. Plus will fall upon us an enhancing filter could be pretty cool too!

But the only kit I found with what I want is a Tiffen and I am not sure of the quality of Tiffen filters :?:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=162457&is=REG
What do you guys think of this kit and Tiffen filters?
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:24 PM   #2

Tiffen is a good quality filter maker. Like anyone else I'm sure there are different qualities they make depending on the market and price point. With filters you really do get what you pay for when you buy from the major players. I've never been much of a filter "kit" buyer. If I want a certain type I just go looking for the best version I can find, which usually means buying separately.

After not having used protectivefilters for years, I bought one of these both both my 17-40 f4L and my 70-200 f4L:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...994&is=REG

I have tried shots both with and without them mounted & have seen nothing to indicate any image quality degredation with these filters mounted. I do also make sure to use the hoods in almost all situations.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:39 PM   #3

Tiffen advertises that they're used in motion pictures and the movie industry - however, I also had some reservations as they were one of the cheaper brands. Comparing a Hoya Super HMC I have with a bottom dollar Tiffen I recently purchased - I notice little difference in construction quality.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:33 PM   #4

construction of a filer means nothing to me I dont care if its biult like a tank if everything looks like I am shooting thru the bottom of a coke bottle
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:24 AM   #5

I don't think you can go to far wrong with a B&W or a Hoya.

This is the cheapest place I have found them...I plan on buying 2 or 3 some time next week.

http://shop.vendio.com/ect/category/7/

Good luck!!!
gfather is offline   Reply With Quote