Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:04 PM   #1

I am wondering if someone could help me out please, I got the Rebel SLR camera with standart lense that it comes with, however I want to get a telephoto, macro & superwide angle lenses. I am wondering if someone can suggest any? I am a little new to lenses.
I dont want to spend ALOT of money either (per lense)

Thank you

Mark
spookymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:27 PM   #2

haha, depends on what "Alot" of money is to you

the sigma 12-24mm lens is almost 700 dollars, but well worth it...

there are near dirt cheap lenses...that won't provide amazing quality, but aren't bad...

i think sigma has a 28-200mm telephoto zoom...with macro capability..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:43 AM   #3

Mark

What is your budjet for lenses?

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:31 AM   #4

Ya that budget thing is key but more importantly what are your goals and what size prints are you looking for?
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:12 PM   #5

I concur - knowing how you will use the lenses will help everyone suggest how 'fast' they need to be. For instance if you want a telephoto for low light sports shooting you are really going to want something with a constant 2.8 (read pricey) but if it is non action and good light then something with a 5.6 might suffice and save you half the money. So let us know what type of shooting you want to do with each of your categories.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:19 PM   #6

WOW, thank you for a reply.
Here is what I am looking for,
macro lense that will alow me to take some good sharp pictures;
telephoto lense - I am not big on sports so it will be mainly for stady shots, good light.
Wide Angle - same thing as telephoto.

My budget, well ..... I was thinking something around 300-500 per lens. (or better)

Thank you all again for your help.

Mark
spookymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:12 PM   #7

Mark

I can recommend the Canon 70-200mm F.4/L for your zoom. This is a high quality lens that I just bought. I have only being testing it for past two days but it is really sharp. Cost about less than $600 at www.bhphoto.com

My walk around lens is the Canon 28-135 USM IS. I do not do much macro but this has worked for me and it also has a moderate zoom. Cost about $400

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:53 PM   #8
djb

Mark, B&H sells the canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lense for approx. $470. it's an exceptional lense.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:16 AM   #9

Here is a suggestion for the macro part:

Unless you plan on doing a LOT of macro stuff, you might consider just two quality lenses for your wide to tele needs. There's plenty of good advice on that around here. You will still be able to shoot flowers or tea cups or whatever with your main lenses.

Then for closer macro work $100 will get you a set of extension tubes to use with your two quality lenses. Tubes have no glass in them (no degradation of image) but allow your lens to focus as close as you want. You can practically fill the frame with a pinto bean.Imagine that 200 or 300mm lens on full telephoto able to focus at 2 inches (or closer, but there's no light in the shade of the lens). You will need to use manual focus with the tubes.

Allocate the money for what you do more of. The tubes are economical but might be humbug if you want todo a lot of close macro work.

Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote