Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:48 PM   #21
J_R

Thx guyz for all the info, it really helped me. I was at Samy's today and picked up the Canon 70-200 IS USM model. I figured out that there were a few stiuations that it may come in handy and I was already prepared for the price.

Thanks again and hope to post a photo next week, we have a gymnasticis competition this Sunday.

JR
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:20 AM   #22
J_R

my first day with it.............

Camera Model Name
Canon EOS 10D
Shooting Date/Time
10/24/2004 9:09:01 AM
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/125
Av( Aperture Value )
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Image Size
3072x2048
Flash
Off
File Size
210KB
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:01 AM   #23
NHL

You can use a little more shutter speed (ie not fast enough):
-> Notice the hands and legs blurs while the signs in the static background remain relatively sharp!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:03 PM   #24
J_R

NHL thanks much
I was thinking that myself and will work on it next weekend..............
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:40 PM   #25

My advice is to find a shop where you can take back the lens after trying it out. Shoot with the Sigma EX that NHL suggests and shoot with the Canon L (non-IS)that has piqued your desire. Then see if the $400-500 price difference is worth it for you. It's your money and taste, after all.

I did just what I'm suggesting you do. Don't seriously consider a f4 for indoor work - you will not likely be happy. Your shutter speed and AF will be more in line with the demands of fast-moving subjects, let alone the bokeh improvement from a 2.8.

Me, I bought the Sigma EX and I'm a happy fellow. (And I've got money left over for a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 or some used primes b/w 24mm and the low end of my zoom that I'm considering.) I would tell you that the guys at the shop could not distinguish b/w the Canon photos and the Sigma photos.

MCTuomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 1:03 AM   #26
J_R

I chose the CANON 70-200 IS USM after much time and consideration. I realize that people are happy with the Sigma and I'm sure I would have been as well (should I have chosen that lens). But I have the CANON and am TOTALLY happy with it, as well as my several CANON digital cameras. I am only an amateur and I realize I need work. And that is what I intend to do, get better at using my CANON lenses.

Thanks,
JR
Old Oct 26, 2004, 7:45 AM   #27
NHL

Another consideration against the f/4 is that one can't make use of the f/2.8 high-resolution AF sensor on the 20D...

What I have noticed is people in the Minolta camp are more open to lens suggestion from 3rd party since they already own a 'no-name' brand (no less excellent for that matter). The Canon (and Nikon) afiocandos have a certain 'mindset' that they got to have Canon (or Nikon). Nothing wrong with that except there are others excellent tele zooms and macros out there (often exceeding the OEM) as well that should not be ignored :?

... another case in point is the Sigma flash which clearly outperforms the 420EX in power and feature and significantly undercut the 550EX in cost! :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote