Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:19 AM   #1
J_R

I presently have the 10D and am very happy with it. I am also looking into the 20D as they become more redily available. I am using 28-135 IS USM and am somewhat happy with it. I am now primarily shooting indoors w/out a fash for gymnastic competition. I realize the lens I have will not cut it and am looking for a serious lense for this specific purpose. If I gain another benefit from the lense, even better. I appreciate any comments you may have regarding this.

I should mention thatI am looking at the 70-200L 2.8 Canon Lense a possibility.

Thank you,
J_R
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:31 PM   #2

How close can you get?
What ISO do you normally shoot at?

The 70-200L 2.8 is a very good lens and should do all that you want. If you can afford it, I would probably look nowhere else.

The 70-200 f4 is also good and much cheaper. But it gets 1/2 the light than the f2.8 and that can make a huge difference.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:52 PM   #3
J_R

Eric S thanks for the response. At each event it is different as to how close I can get. Some keep us way back and at other I can get right up to the event. All I can tell you for sure is my 28-135 does not get me close enough under almost all conditions. So the longer focal length is a must. When I'm shooting at 135 I'm at 5.6 and that is tough since we are not allowed to use flashes. I have been shooting at 1600 to get me by for now. I'm thinking with a fixed 2.8 I may be able to shoot at 800. Although price is always a consideration, after my experience I believe the addl light at the 2.8 would be worth the cost. Maybe I will just hold on to my 10D a little longer to help justify the stiff price of the lense.

Thanks much,
JR
Old Oct 12, 2004, 6:20 AM   #4
NHL

FYI

Check out the affordable f/2.8 Sigma: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...31&forum_id=65

:-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:23 AM   #5
J_R

Will do, thx for the info!
Old Oct 12, 2004, 6:27 PM   #6

If you're shooting at f5.6 (and find the ability to stop action acceptable) then f2.8 should let you shoot at ISO400. Gaining two stops of light means by aperture meants two ISO's lower.

Eric
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:24 AM   #7
J_R

Eric, 5.6 is no where cutting it for me. If I can shoot at 800 with the 2.8 I'll be thrilled!!!

I'm leaning towards the Canon USM IS unit.

Thanks much,
JR
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:42 PM   #8

How would IS help?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:24 PM   #9

It wouldn't help with stopping the action, but it would help for a few reasons:
1) It will remove some camera shake.
2) Give you more freedome to not use a tripod... which lets you turn and shoot quickly all over the stadium. I know I miss this since switching to using a tripod all the time.

Eric
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:54 AM   #10
J_R

thanks eric for taking that question. Here is what Canon has to say about one of their IS lenses:

Standard zoom lens with an Image Stabilizer and high zoom ratio. With the Image Stabilizer turned on, you can obtain sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without using flash or a tripod. Very handy for places where flash is prohibited. Uses ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus.

I have found this to be somewhat true. I am no pro by any means but have seen may pros using 2.8 IS lenses indoors w/out flash or tripod.

Should have mine very soon :-)