Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:05 PM   #1

Hello all. This is my first post here and look forward to hanging around for a while.

Anyway, I just bought a new Canon 10D cheap from my Canon sales rep. I have a Canon 50mm f/1.8 on the way, and I'm ordering a Canon 17-40mm L f/4 throughan employee purchase through my store. I also have a 30"x30" EZCube light tent on its way here.

I have someone interested in having me shoot his whole line of metal cutting tools and milling bits for his business. He's not looking for macro shots or anything. He's going to have them not only on his website, but also in a hard copy catalogue.

My question is, will either the 50mm or 17-40mm be sufficient enough to do this kind of work? These tools and bits will range between 3" - 8" long, some of them with carrying cases about the size of a laptop. I do however have access to a Canon 135mm L f/2 lens from time to time if that would be better to shoot with. Actually, could I also use the Canon 2x teleconverter with the 17-40mm?

BTW, if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm kind of new to this. (the product photography that is)

Thanks in advance for your help.
chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:40 PM   #2

You'll want to stay away from the long focal length lenses, the depth of field would be too shallow I'd guess unless you stopped down a fair bit.

I'd try the 50mm lens first and if you can't focus close enough add some extension between it and the camera. Your 17-40 should be okay too. Both are optically good enough for your purposes.

I wouldn't try the TC on a zoom as wide as a 17-40. They are really optimized for telephoto lenses 100mm or longer.

The ultimate lens for what you are doing is a tilt-shift where you can change the focal plane and get all of the product in focus.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:03 PM   #3

Thanks ursa! After I posted that, I remembered that the teleconverters were really meant for the telephoto lenses, but never got back to change it.

I just got that 50mm f/1.8 in and tried it out on a Drebel I barrowed from work tonight since I do not have the 10D yet, and it seems to do pretty good. It's a heck of a lot sharper than the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm wondering how much of a difference there will be between the 50mm and 17-40mm. However, I could always get a set of 52mm close-up filters for the prime lens.

Also, I completely forgot about using a tilt-shift lens for keeping everything in focus from front to rear. I'd hate to see how much one of those are though. :shock:I guess I could check it out at work tomorrow and see what they are going for. Maybe I can get one with the employee purchase. :idea:
chops is offline   Reply With Quote