Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 21, 2004, 3:18 PM   #1

I've really enjoyed my Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom lens. Recently, the viewfinder image is very dim and doing lot's of internet research leads me to believe the Sigma lens aperture may be stuck. Off the camera and viewing the lens from the mounting side shows the lens aperture at the smallest opening (which is a clue). THe depth of field button on my Canon Rebel does nothing. Swapping with the original Canon lens, the viewfinder image is bright, and the depth of field button operates (opens and closes) the lens aperture just fine. So I'm convinced something is wrong with the Sigma lens, not the camera body.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Can anyone confirm my analysis? Thanks.
battement is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:39 PM   #2

This is exactly what happened to my orignal Sigma 28-105.

Sorry to say it took me almost a year of shipping it to Sigma and aseveral weeks later getting a still nonfunctional lens back, before they gave up and gave me a replacement lens(which has now also bit the dust with a toasted focus motor).

If you are still under warranty, try to get them to replace the lens right from the start.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:42 AM   #3

Thanks. Sigma has advised me to send it in as they are the only authorized service center (in N.America I presume).

Are you saying it took Sigma a year to work on it before they sent it back (still broken)?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:53 PM   #4

No, I got it back several times, each time still broken. First time in I think they just rechipped it. Second time they replaced the focus motor. Third time I could not figure out what they "fixed", etc. I sent the lens in because it had a dead diaphragm actuator. As far as I can figure they never actually tried to use it to see what was wrong, and did not read my problem description. It took a year of sending it in and getting it back many times before they finally gave up and I got a new lens. Fortunately it was all done under warranty.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 7:11 AM   #5

No luck for me, out of warranty, purchased a year and a half ago.

This thing happened about a year ago and I couldn't figure out why, indoors, my viewfinder image was so dark and my camera was always doing the annoying flash-focus-assist, even when indoor light wasn't that bad. This went on for about a week, then it started working fine again (for about 3/4 yr).

It makes me wonder if there is some sort of way to "kick start" the malfunctioning part back into working again like before. Like changing to another camera body or new batteries, or a drop from 3 feet or a bolt of lightning...

Cost of out of warranty repair probably exceeds replacement, especially if you add in the shipping costs you experienced with multiple shipping, right?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:04 AM   #6

I guess I really lucked out, the store I bought it from did the shipping for me.

Yes, the cost ofrepair,and the shipping can add up to asignificant chunk of change.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:47 PM   #7

My Sigma 17-35 zoom does this sometimes, but it appears to be based on how much juice is left inthe Canon 10D's battery. If the display show 1/3 left then the lens will lock down and not open up its aperture. Put in the spare battery and it's OK again.

I guess you checked that?

Only way to fix my problemis to get a 17-40L from Canon instead!

Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:03 AM   #8

Yes, I was hoping that with a fully charged battery in my 300D, it would "pop" the aperture free. But no luck. I don't have the lens adjusted for the digital body yet so

I'm sending it to Sigma so they can do digital update. Hopefully, they'll also do the aperture fix at the same time & won't charge me much, little, or none (Idream).