Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 22, 2004, 8:24 AM   #1
NHL

FYI

Found this while cruising: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/res-chart.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:52 AM   #2

Here is an odd folowup question. I realize that this would be printer dependent.

Anyone know of a exposure test cart? Something that has 255 levels of grey on it that you could focus on and test how much latitude the camera can show? I could make it with PS I guess, but I thought I'd ask if it was out there (or if my idea of this type of target is off base.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:57 PM   #3
NHL

You can print 255 shades of grey, but can a printer put out that dynamic range like a bright sun (ie you need some source of illumination)?

For an example you can take the output of an LP and digitize it to 8-bit and do the same with a CD... The dynamic range of one is always higher than the other although you still have 256 discrete steps in between the high and low, albeit the steps are closer with one than the other... :idea:

BTW they do sell three colors chart: Black, Grey and White that would show up as 3 spikes on your histogram, and how wide they are located apart (or going off scale) will depend on your source of light!
http://www.photobyseat.com/dp_pages/...r%20beater.pdf
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote