Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:56 PM   #1

Has anyone have any experience with this lens. I am more interested in the 400mm to 500mm end.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:41 AM   #2

Take a look at the lens forums on www.dpreview.com. The "Bigma" has been pretty well reviewed by users there, but, as you might imagine, it's pretty heavy. You'll need to use a tripod for those long reach shots.

I'm shopping for a 20D with the EF-S 17-85IS lens as a kit. I've found the pieces but at $100 more than the SRP of the kit. Guess I'll wait till Canon catches up with demand.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:20 AM   #3

I use a bigma, its a great lense and its well worth the money. It does have its drawbacks though.
1. You cant really shoot at 500mm cause it goes a bit soft, i always shoot at 450mm so its still got a bit of punch.
2. Unless youve got real good light you cant shoot wide open like you can on your 70-200L. In poor light vignetting occurs.
3. Size and weight- fully extended its 12" and it is to heavy to take handheld shots IMHO. I always use a monopod and once you get used to it its no real problem.

Have a look at this gallery on my pbase. All shots were taken with the bigma.
http://www.pbase.com/mealers/surfing

Hope this helps

Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 1:27 PM   #4

Mike

Very nice action shots. Thanks for the help. I am looking for the big lens to shoot polo matches in the spring. In El Paso area good light is not a problem.

Thanks

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote