Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 24, 2004, 7:38 PM   #1

Well, I just got this lense on Friday. I debated for a couple months between it and the Canon 70-200 2.8 L. In the end, not being a professional, I just couldn't justify the added $400 for the Canon. I spent a couple hours playing with it yesterday and so far I am extremely happy. Haven't had a chance yet to shoot sports which is the main reason I got it, but so far am very happy. The only downside is it really makes me wish my 28-135 IS had a constant 2.8 - oh what a benefit that is. I just have one question and I feel a bit foolish but gotta learn somehow - can I carry my 300D around my kneck with a lense like this or will it put too much strain on the coupling?

Here are a few test shots:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:00 PM   #2

Great shots! I am very seriously considering this lens, and it puts me just a little bit closer to buying every time I see another satisfied shooter. Make sure to let us know your thoughts after you have had the lens for a bit a the 'newness' has worn off a bit
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:15 AM   #3
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
- can I carry my 300D around my kneck with a lense like this or will it put too much strain on the coupling?
IMO the camera strap fabric is what you should be worry about... eventually the friction against the camera eyelet will tear them off

The 'newness' has definitely worn off on my:

:-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the insight as usual NHL. As soon as cash allows I will be ordering this lens... I finally made my decision!
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:14 PM   #5

Greetings,

The Sigma 70-200 is a great lens. As far as carrying it around your neck, as long as the mount on the 300 is metal, you should not have a problem.I have a buddy, another working pro, that used that lens. He never had a problem as far as sharpness or quality of the photos, they were great. The problem he had was that for pro use, they just don't hold up. He works in a very dusty enviornment (New Mexico) and had problems with it just not being sealedvery well. I don't think you would have a problem with that lens for years if you are not a working pro. The reason I went with my camera makers brand (Nikon) and the reason I will go with Canon's(I am changing systems) is the build quality. For that extra $400, I know I will never have to replace that lens. Well, unless of course it gets hit with a puck

Mike
Dervical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:17 PM   #6
NHL

Gandalf065 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the insight as usual NHL. As soon as cash allows I will be ordering this lens... I finally made my decision!
You can benefit from the f/2.8 high-precision AF sensor when you upgrade to the 20D!

Question:
Does the dust anywhere (or minor scratches) on a lens show up on the picture? My old FD-L's have a few particles in them but doesn't seem to affect the images... I'm just too lazy to have them cleaned since I don't use them as much :?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:38 PM   #7

Well from my personal expirience, some scratches or dust wont. I have an Olympus OM-1 (old school film slr) with the original Zukio 50mm on it, and that lens has a fairly large amount of dust inside it and some scratches on the front element. I have tried stopping down and whatnot, but it has never been a problem. In fact it is probably the sharpest lens I own!

I also have a cheapo 80-210 Sears brand (I believe) zoom for the OM-1 which has some mold inside of it, and that has very much made the lens not useable. I guess it depends on the optics and whatnot.

Hope my little ramblings are of a little insight at least.

David
Old Oct 26, 2004, 7:34 AM   #8
NHL

That's my experience as well

Anyway the professional EX's line from Sigma are actually better sealed than the lesser ones, quoting from some "pro" here:
"In the rain in Rwanda I used a plastic garbage bagas a cover, so the lens was protected but it did not fog up in the steamy conditions. My Canon 28-135, which is not an L lens and is fairly inexpensive, certainly did fog up when the rain struck it. So ... the Sigma proved reliable, too."
http://www.hoothollow.com/Tip-December%202003.html

"Both the Canon and the Sigma are well sealed against dust, an important consideration to me, as I shoot in very dusty places (desert, sand, and dirt tracks)."
http://www.naturephotographers.net/mg0600-1.html