Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:55 AM   #1

I have not been able to find out if the canon extenders will work with my canon 28-135 IS lens, and my Sigma 15-30 lens. Will the Canon extender work if I purchased a longer Sigma lens? Or is there a better extender that is compatible with my 10D and compatible 10D lens?

I am going to Maui at Thanksgiving and feel that I need a longer lens but the Canon 100-400 L lensI want is out of the question right now. So I am hoping that an extender and the28-135 IS lens will do.

pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:55 AM   #2

I am sure that they will fit if you use an extention tube. The smallest tube will give it enough room that the protruding element of the extender won't hit the lens. But you'll use infinity focus.

I just looked at my 28-135 and I believe it would hit the lens, so you can't use it (without the trick from above.)

You do realize that you will loose 1/2 your light by using the 1.4TC and 3/4 of the light by using the 2xTC? This can make some pictures impossible (too slow a shutter speed.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:55 AM   #3
NHL

pclements wrote:
Quote:
Will the Canon extender work if I purchased a longer Sigma lens?
The Canon TC will only work on certain Canon telephoto lenses. It will not work on a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for example!

Quote:
Or is there a better extender that is compatible with my 10D and compatible 10D lens?
The Sigma 1.4 and 2X will work on both Sigma and Canon since they have a shorter internal interference

They will not work on a 28-135 IS USM either since they are also matched for telephotos... Both Canon and Sigma TC are thicker internally and will mash against the rear optic element!
You want a Tamron/Kenko or something with lesser correcting elements for a thinner TC.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:26 AM   #4

Thank you both Eric S & NHL for the reply.I will just do the best I can with what I have in Maui.
pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:23 AM   #5

I had the 28-135 and a Tamron 1.4X extender and it worked very well as long as you had good light. You can alwasy turn off the autofocus and use manual focus. I bought the less expensive version of the Tamron 1.4X because the more expensive version did not work well with Canon's autofocus system on this lens. I found that you need to cover up some of the contacts with tape to have it function with the autofocus. I still use this extender with my Canon 24-70L and the 70-200L. I belive that the Kenko and Tamron are the same TC.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote