Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:12 PM   #1

I just received a 28-135 Canon lens for my 300D.The image stabilizer seems to be working properly but I have a question.Should I be able to hear it working,I can hear a soft buzzing sound which disappears if I turn off the IS.This is a used lens and I need to decide very quickly if Im going to keep it.
Dale
daler63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 3:06 PM   #2

Mine has made that sound since it was new, very faint.
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 3:13 PM   #3

Thanks,thats what I needed to know.
Dale
daler63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:01 AM   #4

Yup its working just fine - Love this lens !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5

I just picked up one too... but the only time I hear anything is when the Image Stabilizeris switched ON and one presses the shutter button as to focus. Like a little motor sound but then again my hearing isn't all that great to begin with. Works rather well as it just takes the edge off normal handheld jitter and wind effect. Even without the IS it's an all round nice lens. Between the weight of the lens and camera body it qualifies as a lethal weapon.

I just hope they holdup rather well?

OTH
OverTheHill-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:55 PM   #6

That's right OverTheHill, I forgot to mention that it only operates with a half press of the shutter - saves the battery.

As to the ruggedness, mine survived a hard blow a couple weeks ago. I was carrying it and it's DRebelin my hand in their Lowepro Topload Zoom Mini bag (medium duty). the strap of the bag snagged a sawhorse and the bag slipped out of my hand and landed on the concrete on theedge ofthe lens with the weight of the DRebel behind it.:O

It shattered the UV filter glass and bent the filter rim in about 45° at the point of impact. I had to cut the rim to getit off as the threads were jammed. The broken glass was driven into the front element of the lense causing a small nick in the glass and a fewscratches in the coating.

Apart from the surface damage to the front element, I am happy to report that the lens works perfectly. I have never seen the IS or focus mechanism but I assume there's some precision moving parts, connected to some circuitry. Not the sort of thing you would want to bounce off the concrete, must be well built.

Ironic that the filter which is for protection was the very agent of the only damage in this case. I still think the benefits of the filter outweigh the risk. I meticulously cleaned the lens new and mounted the filter. With the filter on I can clean it with my t-shirt or paper towel or other things which I would not want to use on the lense element.

The tiny nick is visible as a sort of blurry area about 5 pixels across in the images when I shoot wide open. It's off to the side so I am going to live with it for a while. I haven't priced the replacement of the front element yet but my trusted camera dealer suggested based on the newness of the lens he would have it repaired if it were less than $200.

that's my story, and I'm sticking to it

David

Here's an update if anyone's interested:

Quick-fix: blacked out the nick with a fine-point Sharpie (laundry marker).

Repair quote from local Canon center: labor = $113, part = $93.

Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote