Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:48 PM   #1

I want to see reviews of lense quality...especially canon...and especially the new EF-S lenses vs the L series lenses. What are the best sites to go to?

Also does anyone know if there are lens review sites that compare lenses old and new as far as their quality on digital cameras or is this a dumb question!!

Thanks!!
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:24 PM   #2

photozone.de contains some pretty extensive ratings of lenses for all cameras. Photodo.com has similar info but I do not believe it is being updated further. The new EF-S lenses are going to be tough to find reviews on (other than the kit lense with the 300-d or 20d). I believe the 10-22 just started shipping and the 17-85 IS has only been out a couple weeks. I was hunting yesterday for some reviews of the 10-22 and came up empty. I would also suggest putting a post out for recommendations based on the type of photography you want to do. The people here have been extremely helpful in helping me decide what lenses to pursue.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:10 AM   #3

photozone.de is the one I use as well.

Another thing is http://www.fredmiranda.com. It isn't as extensive, but you can read several people's writeup and look for trends.

The EF-S lenses are so new, you'll be hard pressed to find reviews of them. You might want to check magazines. The problem with that is that Canon advertises with them, so the review is generally never negative.... just not as glowing as it could be (I really wish that practice would stop.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:34 AM   #4
NHL

Flood wrote:
Quote:
I want to see reviews of lense quality...especially canon...and especially the new EF-S lenses vs the L series lenses.
The EF-s and the 'L' series are like apples and oranges and can not be compared to one another!

The 'L' are Canon's absolute best and will work on any camera! The AF-s lenses are designed to exploit features of the cropped APS-c sized camera such as reduced size and lighter lenses with eventually a lower cost... and only fit some cameras!

-> Quality is not the same one is almost always metal with the appropriate weather seal while the other is entirely plastic/alloy (for that lighter weight). One also get constant aperture on the 'L' which always guarantees theses lenses to be bigger(and faster) with a corresponding better 'bokeh'.
The only problem is their price, which is why there are 3rd party lenses that try to fill the void... and some are pretty good at it. :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 7:44 AM   #5

http://www.photo.net/

I go there quite a bit!

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:16 PM   #6

FM Forums
jag147 is offline   Reply With Quote