Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:44 AM   #1

I just received my Canon 75-300 IS USM lens and when I ordered it I also ordered a Tiffen Circular Polarizer filter for this lens. I realized that my 28-135 lens has a UV filter and that is what I goofed up when ordering the new lens.

So my question is this: Is there a good reason to keep the Circular Polarizer and also order a UV filter that will stay on the lens? I am thinking the Polarizer filter will be usefull on my trip to Maui at the end of the month. I would love to hear your comments please.
pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:23 PM   #2

Quote:
So my question is this: Is there a good reason to keep the Circular Polarizer and also order a UV filter that will stay on the lens?
These two filters serve two different purposes. Just about everyone will have a UV filter on every lense if for nothing else than to protect the lense, although they do cut down on haze. The circular polarizer is a great filter to have when doing landscape shots with sky or when doing any shots with water. So, will the polarizier be useful? Depends on if you are going to use your 75-300 for those purposes. For portrait or wildlife photography there is not much of a gain (unless the wildlife is water or air based). Here is another thing to consider: single coated filters (even UV) each cut down on a little bit of light entering the camera. A circular polarizer will cut down on even more. So, I would not think you want to leave a circular polarizer on 'all the time'. So I would say you want a polarizer for the lense you will be doing your wide-angle scenic shots with and all your lenses should have a UV filter (although some people will swap out the UV when they use the polarizer to reduce the amount of light loss). You will definitely be glad you have a polarizer for your scenic shots it makes a very big difference. Hope that helped. Have a great trip to Maui and post some of your pictures.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:27 PM   #3

Thank you John, You convinced me to keep it and go get a UV filter. You also have me thinking that I should get a Polarizer for my other two lens. I have a question about the polarizer filter. When I attach the filter to my lens I can rotate the filter round and around so when I am taking pictures will I have to rotate the filter? I have polarized fishing glasses that whenI take them off and turn them I can lighten or darken the view so I am thinking that my filter will have to be rotated as well? I did rotate it while looking thru the camera and did not see any difference. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:40 PM   #4

Yes you need to rotate it to get the effects, on sunny days the effect works best at90deg to the sun. On rainy days it will help cut down the reflections from wet shiny objects.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 2:40 PM   #5

And be sure to take your polarizing glasses off first.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 2:49 PM   #6

Thank you PeterP & Ewok. What would be the effect of having both a UV & Polarizer on at the same time? If I rember right I lose 2 stops with the polarizer, what else just to broaden my knowledge?

Old Nov 6, 2004, 5:50 AM   #7
NHL

pclements wrote:
Quote:
What would be the effect of having both a UV & Polarizer on at the same time?
You don't gain anything... any piece of glass will filter out UV (a polarizer is one already)

What's bad:
1 - potential for vignetting at the wide setting since there's more thickness @ the rim
2 - more potential for flare, ie internal reflection between the different layers!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 3:10 PM   #8

Linear polarizers (such as the ones in your glasses) have a different polarizing effect depending on how you rotate them. Circular polarizers were designed to go on the front of lenses that rotate and will not change effect with rotation, so tey won't mess up your focus.To change the effect with a circular one, youhave to change where the sun is in relation to the lens.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:22 PM   #9
NHL

LTBerry wrote:
Quote:
Circular polarizers were designed to go on the front of lenses that rotate and will not change effect with rotation, so tey won't mess up your focus. To change the effect with a circular one, you have to change where the sun is in relation to the lens.
That is definitely weird... I had to rotate all my circular polarizers to make them work!
http://www.schneideroptics.com/filte...e_information/

... and how to tell the differences: http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/20021229.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:31 AM   #10

LTBerry wrote:
Quote:
youhave to change where the sun is in relation to the lens.

Which is no small feat to move the sun either!

LOL...just busting your chops, LT
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote