Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 19, 2002, 8:39 PM   #1

Default EF100 2.8 USM Macro: For Panos!

If you have this lens you know how sharp it is. I tried it on the Kaidan Kiwi L pano head, and it works (that is, you can find the nodal point on that bracket.) The 100mm at f/16, focused about 1/3 of the distance into the pano, produces an extremely sharp and detailed sequence.

I recommend it highly. It also should be able to do Macro Panos, say of n-guage model trains...
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:24 AM   #2

Walter

Having thought about cost for getting the MP-E65, I decided to finally stick to less expensive Macro lens. There are two types so far, the one you mentioned above plus the EF 180mm F/3.5L Macro USM, do you think this is is as good as the EF100mm F/2.8 Macro USM?

Oliver
OliverC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:05 PM   #3

The 180mm macro is a wonderful lens, but probably no sharper than the 100mm. It is also huge, and costs about $1300 rather than the $470 for the 100.

The advantage of the 180 is that you can get a little further back from the subject for the same magnification. The advantage of the 100, besides the size and weight, is that it is an f2.8 rather than f3.5.

So, it depends on 1) what you are going to use the lens for, 2) whether the difference in focal length, size and weight makes the smaller lens a better choice, and, 3) whether the amount of macro shoting you want to do justifies paying 3 times more for the bigger lens.

I love the 100mm, and was able to buy a great ringlight for it and still have a few hundered bucks in the bank, compared to getting the 180.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 4:02 AM   #4

Walter

Thanks for your suggestion. Sharpness is crucial but not necessarily the extra length. I think I'll hire the MP-E65 to see how successful it will be without buying extra bits to go with it.

When I shot macros with the Pro90IS + the 500D close up lens, I was able to get a better result than the hired D30+100mm f2.8 macro lens. But perhaps it was hired and so the equipment may not be at its best?! Just a thought.

Oliver
Old Feb 26, 2003, 9:56 AM   #5

Further readings, especially from Steve's recommendations on

http://photos.msn.com/resources/targ...macro_msn.html

suggests I could use the 70-200 L USM IS and add the close up 500D lens to it. I think this would save me buying & carrying the proper Macro lens. Both lens have compatible thread of 77mm.

Buying the 70-200 will allow me do sports photography, then I could add the 500D and do Macros. A very good combination I think!

Here's another link which suggests that the 500D will also work on the 16-35mm F2.8 lens.

http://www.canonians.com/lenses.htm

Oliver