Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 10, 2004, 9:15 AM   #1

I am considering a quality wide angle lens for my Drebel. I saw the Tamron article by one of Steve's columnists. I played with it at a store, and am seriously interested. It is a"digital lens" design with, presumably, a smaller circle of illumination for use with APS sensor cameras. My question is does this meanitwill not cover the full sensor area ofa future low cost, full frame digital camera that Canon will introduce? If that is true, I will save my sheckels andbuy the 17-40 Canon.It isnot only a great lens butit can beused on both full frame and APSdigital cameras (albeit with a "crop" on APS) and film cameras as well.It seems to me that also assures the maximum resale value of the lens if I ever decide to change to another wide angle range.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2004, 9:43 AM   #2
NHL

This is what the columnist wrote:
"P.S. Reader David Greenberg points out that I've been ambiguous about what the Tamron 17-35mm Di can be used for. It is not limited to APS-sized sensors, and can be used on full-frame 35mm film cameras as well. However, the Di designation means it was designed from the outset with use on DSLRs in mind. Furthermore (although I reserve the right to change my mind once I know more), from what I've seen so far it's not as much of a standout as an ultrawide zoom on 35mm film as it is when used as a short-normal zoom on APS-C DSLRs. In this article I'm discussing it, and recommending it, in its capacity as a digital lens when used on a DSLR with a 1.5x or 1.6x f.o.v. crop factor."
http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/11022004.html

ie it will work and "cover" the area of a full-frame 35mm, but not a standout anymore when used as such!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:49 AM   #3

My face is red. Iskimmed article,copied the lens data,and missed the PS at the end.

I know that by design my Drebel kit lens will not fit other Canon digital cameras without recourse to a hacksaw. Some lenses have mechanicalcharacteristics that interfere with mirror operation and so can only beused on specific cameras.

Barring mechanical limits, however, are "digital" lenses generally usable on all cameras butperform better on APScameras where the sensor essentiallyseesonly the center of the image?Is it a case by case situation where I need to read each review to find out? I have this mental picture of a viewfinder image with a bright centerthat gradually darkens out to the corners.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 2:42 PM   #4
NHL

ADSchiller wrote:
Quote:
Barring mechanical limits, however, are "digital" lenses generally usable on all cameras but perform better on APS cameras where the sensor essentially sees only the center of the image? Is it a case by case situation where I need to read each review to find out? I have this mental picture of a viewfinder image with a bright center that gradually darkens out to the corners.
Only Canon EF-s lens are "re-mounted" so it won't fit on a full frame, but just the APS-c sized camera such as the dRebel and 20D

Manufacturers make their lenses work on both by keeping the same EF mount... If it's truly digital enabled a lens can be made much smaller than normal and may interfere with the mirror box, such lens would use the same EF-s mount only and can encroach toward the back and hit the larger mirror of a full-frame.
Others like most Sigma just slapped "DG" on their lens (because 'digital' sale) with relatively minor changes while the lenses remained pretty large (as witness by the front filter thread) so they can still fully work on a 35mm!

The 12-24 DG for example is a 'cropped' lens and will do badly on a full-frame while the 15-30 shines: http://www.16-9.net/ultrawides/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote